Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

From Snow leopard 10.5.8 to Lion to Maverick or Yosemite

Hi Guys, I have a Mac Book Pro 10.5.8 from 2009 with Snow Leopard. I had purchased Lion and then updated it to Mountain Lion, Maverick and Yosemite. Today my Mac crashed and I had to reformat it. Now I had to put the same old DVD of Snow Leopard and now my Mac is working using Snow leopard again. When I see different forums online I saw that if I want to upgrade my system (which is the 10.5.8 version of Snow Leopard) into Lion I need to pay. But I have already paid earlier buying Lion. It does not make sense that I pay again to but it. What should I be doing? I would really appreciate a word of guidance.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009)

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 12:14 AM

5 replies

Aug 1, 2015 12:55 AM in response to mrinalkaul

Your newly working Mac is not 10.5.8 Snow Leopard, 10.5.8 is the Leopard OS. With all the recent changes, your route now is 10.6.3 Snow Leopard > then update to 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. Then, if your machine will take it, you can go direct to 10.10.4 Yosemite. That is a FREE download.

Lion is of no use now and Mavericks is no longer available anyway. These are the machine requirements for Yosemite.

https://www.apple.com/uk/osx/how-to-upgrade/

Aug 1, 2015 11:01 PM in response to NoahCoodin

You need to buy a install disc from Apple. Your Mac has to have a CD or DVD player

OP already has an install disk. There is no need to buy one. The only Mac OS still available on disc is Snow Leopard 10.6.3. And, most newer Macs no longer have a Superdrive.

or you can create a boot key of Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks, or Yosemite

Yes, you can; however, you can also download the OS again from your previous Purchases section.

From Snow leopard 10.5.8 to Lion to Maverick or Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.