Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update 12.2 lost my library (and previous libraries) but not the files

Guys,

I am in a bit of trouble here.

I have updated to the latest version of itunes (12.2.1) from 12.1.2 and my whole library was deleted. (both the itunes library.itl and itunes music library.xml were deleted). So I check on internet and everyone pointed out to the Previous itunes libraries folder. Problem: mine is empty!

So I tried using a recovery software (Recuva) but it didn't find anything!

I still have all of my songs, apps, videos, podcasts and everything on my computer but not in the library but if I import them into itunes I will lose all of the ratings, listen counts, and playlists which I have taken years to create.

My last computer backup dates back from more than a year ago so the library is clearly not up to date (that is if I can actually get it back from my year old backup)

On the bright side all of my songs are on y ipad. Is there anything I can do to get my library back? like from my ipad or something?

Or if my use my old library (from 2014) and import it into itunes, and then sync my ipad to get the latest playlists, ratings and pay counts?

please help!!

iMac, null

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 4:38 AM

12 replies

Aug 1, 2015 5:46 AM in response to nicob78X

"So I check on internet and everyone pointed out to the Previous itunes libraries folder. Problem: mine is empty!"

Are you sure you're looking in the right place? Check that you don't have duplicated iTunes folders anywhere. If you've upgraded from 12.1 (or earlier) to 12.2 and/or from 12.2 to 12.2.1 there should definitely be dated copies of the pre-upgrade library files in the Previous iTunes Libraries folder:

User uploaded file

"Recovery software" is rarely worth what you pay for it (even if free). There's no substitute for creating and regularly maintaining a full backup of your iTunes library as insurance against scenarios like this, as well as hardware failures, malware infections, etc.

Aug 8, 2015 8:27 AM in response to nicob78X

As previously noted, if you don't have a backup of your iTunes library, and you really don't have any older .itl files in the Previous iTunes Libraries folders or recoverable .tmp files in the iTunes folder, and you can't recover content from one or more iDevices, then you'll need to recreate your library by adding the existing media files/folders, re-downloading content from the iTunes Store, etc.

Aug 8, 2015 9:04 AM in response to nicob78X

iDevices can only be synced with one library at a time. Since you have - assuming none of the recovery/restoration methods are applicable - a new/different iTunes library and any sync operations will erase media from your iPad. Some of the methods/tools described in tt2's Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device user tip may allow you to recover some metadata as part of the process of rebuilding your library.

Aug 8, 2015 9:45 AM in response to nicob78X

As given, the steps listed in Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device should make sure that you protect all of your other data that is currently on a device when connecting it to what is essentially a new library. There are some scripts listed near the end that can recover ratings, play counts, and playlists. Other tools can be used to recover any media that might have gone missing. There is also a link to a backup method you can use to avoid getting into this position again.

tt2

Update 12.2 lost my library (and previous libraries) but not the files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.