Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't find an already purchased book in search

I am using a MacBook Pro with the latest update of Yosemite OS X. I purchased a book from the iBook store and would like to read another book by the same author. Using search in the iBook store I cannot find the author. Instead, I see a list of books that all include either her first or last name.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 7:29 AM

8 replies

Aug 1, 2015 4:55 PM in response to laurianfromfrisco

Perhaps you could try searching for the title of the book that you already know. When it comes up there should be a line on the page saying something like "More James Joyce" (or whoever). When I just tried that there was a link underneath that said 'Collection" and when I clicked on it I was taken to a page with a selection of books by the same author.

Alternatively, sometimes completely quitting a program and rebooting it can give different results.

Good luck.

Aug 2, 2015 8:45 AM in response to laurianfromfrisco

How strange. That must be frustrating.

Are you sure that you're entering your search words in the right place? When you first open iBooks it goes to your library and the search box you see in the top right corner doesn't search the whole store. For that you have to click in the box at the top left hand side that says iBooks Store. Once it goes to the store, the search box at the top right corner should then search the whole store. Doesn't it work that way for you?

Alternatively, just go to Google and enter the word iBooks and the name of the author you want. It should find you a link to a page with all the books on offer from that author. Assuming of course that they actually have written a few and that iBooks sell them!

All of the methods that I've suggested above work perfectly for me - also using Yosemite - so I'm now out of ideas. Good luck finding a solution.

Aug 2, 2015 9:05 AM in response to Hakea001

Ah....

The store may be laid out differently, depending on what device you're using (I'm using an iMac). But you still need to make sure that you're in the store section. I guess that you also need to be sure that you've got the right spelling for the author and that they do have more than one book in the iBook store. As mentioned above, Google will help you check all that if you're unsure.

Aug 3, 2015 5:33 PM in response to Hakea001

Thank you for trying. Regardless of which device I use the author is not listed.I have used iBooks in the past and have bought about 20 books from them, but no more. Kindle has a better and much easier set up. And I've purchased several hundred books from them. I'm usually an all things Apple person, but I don't believe iBooks is a priority for the company.

Aug 3, 2015 5:54 PM in response to laurianfromfrisco

I agree with your comments. I currently have an unusual billing problem whenever my wife or I buy a book through iBooks, but we can't even get Apple to respond to our requests for assistance. They issue an automated case number, promise to reply within 48 hours, and then - absolutely nothing! Not even a polite "Sorry, we can't trace the problem". We are good customers, the problem is genuine, and the request are politely worded. Yet we get zero support. Disappointing and really quite odd in a way. Like you, we've switched totally to Kindle and will stay that way unless Apple are willing to assist us.

Could you perhaps post the name of the author that you're searching for? Other people could then try searching and post a link if they have any success. We have several types of Apple devices here (iMac, iPad, a laptop, iPhone and even an old iPod) so it might be interesting to see if they give different results with their versions of iBooks. We're also the other side of the world from you, so we may see regional variations in availability.

Cheers, Chris

Aug 4, 2015 7:38 PM in response to Hakea001

I have the iPhone 6, Retina iPad, Macbook Pro and a PC if I need it. The results are the same. I will telephone Apple Support and see if I can find the solution there. I have had incredible luck with them, and am now hoping for the same. If you have not already spoken with them I recommend it, because they can be quite helpful. Again, thank you for trying.

I can't find an already purchased book in search

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.