Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pitch bug - driving me CRAZY - pitch changes for no reason??

Hi,

Recently bought a retina iMac, running Yosemite 10.10.04.

Installed latest version of Logic X (10.1.1).

I started a project, played in some notes via an external keyboard (old M-Audio Ozone) and all was well for about an hour.

Suddenly the part I'd played started changing pitch, even though I'd not touched the pitch modulator. Thinking it may be because of the old Ozone, I deleted that part, and played another - this time using the built-in keybaord controller surface that I'm typing this post on.

Again, SAME ISSUE. Whenever it plays back, it'll be fine for a while - then will start going out of pitch, about a semitone down.

I checked the event list and sure enough, pitch control data appears from nowhere.

I even played a new part, on a different software instrument (Logic-based) with the event list open, with just pitch control data solo-ed - and as I play, I'm watching in real-time all manner of pitch control chaos enter my project.

You can see the result of this in the screenshot. In the part itself you'll see the pitch bend data towards the right-hand side of the part in green - and in the list the solo-ed pitch bend data listed.

It's obviously impossible to work like this and am desperate for help.

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks!

AZ

User uploaded fileThanks a lot,

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 7:37 AM

10 replies

Aug 1, 2015 8:18 AM in response to AdrianZag

Hi

AdrianZag wrote:

Hi,

Suddenly the part I'd played started changing pitch, even though I'd not touched the pitch modulator. Thinking it may be because of the old Ozone, I deleted that part, and played another - this time using the built-in keybaord controller surface that I'm typing this post on.

Thanks a lot,

Sounds like you have an iffy keyboard controller pitch wheel.

What happens if you disconnect the Ozone completely?

CCT

Aug 1, 2015 1:06 PM in response to AdrianZag

Could be the controller as CCTM mentions, but is could also be related to the newer USB 3.0 supported on newer Macs and the recent operating systems. Does the controller run off of Bus power or does it have an external power supply? Some times the power isn't USB isn't sufficient on new systems, you can try using a "Powered" USB 2.0 Hub. A hub with an external power supply. Or if the controller can use an external power supply, try that.

Or it could just be an incompatibility between the older USB MIDI interface and the newer ports.

Or an iffy pitch wheel! :-)

Aug 1, 2015 2:11 PM in response to Pancenter

Edited for the sake of clarity.... sheesh!

Could be the controller as CCTM mentions, but could also be related to USB 3.0 which is hardware supported on newer Macs and recent operating systems. Does the controller run off of Bus power or does it have an external power supply? Sometimes the power supplied by USB 3.0 isn't sufficient, try using a "Powered" USB 2.0 Hub. A hub with an external power supply or, if the controller can use external power supply, try that. It could just be an incompatibility between the Ozone's older USB MIDI interface and the newer ports.

Or an iffy pitch wheel! :-)

Aug 3, 2015 12:45 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

Hi guys,

Thanks to all for the feedback.

I also thought it was the ozone, but the fact the issue remains even if I play the built-in virtual keyboard means I'm really bamboozled by this. When i disconnect the Ozone the issue remains.

The workaround is to disable 'pitch bend' in midi filters.

But then it means I can't do cool stuff with the mod wheel, so it isn't a satisfactory solution...

Aug 3, 2015 1:29 PM in response to AdrianZag

If the Ozone is the only external controller you have attached to your Mac (and if not unplug all of them including any Midi / Audio interfaces after shutting down your Mac and test....)

Then....

1) You have an app running (in the background) on your iPhone/iPad..... so power down all iOS devices (Not sleep but Power Down) and then test to see if that fixes it..

If thats not the case...

Then...

2) After unplugging all external Controllers, keyboards and interfaces.....

Delete both Logic's Main and CS Prefs...

To delete the user preferences, do the following:

You can resolve many issues by restoring Logic Pro X back to its original settings. This will not impact your media files. To reset your Logic Pro X user preference settings to their original state, do the following:

1. Quit Logic Pro X
  2. In the Finder, choose Go to Folder from the Go menu.
  3. Type ~/Library/Preferences in the "Go to the folder" field.
  4. Press the Go button.
  5. Remove the com.apple.logic10.plist file from the Preferences folder. Note that if you have programmed any custom key commands, this will reset them to the defaults. You may wish to export your custom key command as a preset before performing this step. See the Logic Pro X User Manual for details on how to do this.
  6. If you are having trouble with a control surface in Logic Pro X, then you may also wish to delete the com.apple.logic.pro.cs file from the preferences folder.
  7. Restart the computer.

Note: If you cannot find any of the files listed above, you didn’t follow the instruction exactly as written! 🙂

Now test Logic Pro X using just the Musical Typing Keyboard and do not plug in any external controllers etc....

Aug 3, 2015 9:26 PM in response to AdrianZag

AdrianZag wrote:

Hi guys,

Thanks to all for the feedback.

I also thought it was the ozone, but the fact the issue remains even if I play the built-in virtual keyboard means I'm really bamboozled by this. When i disconnect the Ozone the issue remains.

The workaround is to disable 'pitch bend' in midi filters.

But then it means I can't do cool stuff with the mod wheel, so it isn't a satisfactory solution...

Still could be the MIDI interface (if you're using one)

I agree with ArtOfSound.... I bet you have a corrupted control surfaces preference file. There have been several cases of this file getting corrupted.

Pitch bug - driving me CRAZY - pitch changes for no reason??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.