Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to check the "health" of the Time Machine Backup Disk and keep it fit?

How may I check the "health" of the Time Machine Backup Disk and keep it fit?

Any point of repairing permissions on the Time Machine backup disk for example.

I have never had a failing backup message. And I never had to totally restore the whole disk.

I would like to be prepared in the best possible way.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 4 Gb Ram, 2.4 GHZ Intel Core Duo 2

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 4:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 10:44 AM

Sadly, you can't really tell until you need to restore, which has failed me more than once, I always keep a recent clone & test that by booting into it.

That being said, in Disk Utility, at least Verify Disk on both the main & TM drive.

6 replies

Aug 2, 2015 7:44 AM in response to Norwegian_Macfan68

For added peace of mind, I have two Time Machine volumes connected. The system alternates between them as it backs up -- so even if one fails catastrophically and requires replacement, the other will be there until I have two again. Being a bit paranoid about backups, I take the further step of employing Synchronize! Pro X (similar to SuperDuper and CCC) to back up to a NAS device weekly. Finally, there's my CrashPlan account, offering last-ditch recovery from the cloud.

How to check the "health" of the Time Machine Backup Disk and keep it fit?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.