Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ultra studio mini recorder

Hi All

I have the BMD UltraStudio MiniRecorder to a late 2013 Mac Pro (2015) on Yosemite 10.10.4. Running Desktop Video 10.4.2 Source signal for test purposes is a Canon Vixia R52, connected to HDMI output, 1080i59.94. Connected to Thunderbolt Bus 0.

Video can be seen using Media Express, and even OBS, just fine. However, FCPX does not acknowledge the camera while trying IMPORT. I can only see the built in cam in my thunderbolt display.

Anybody have a simple fix to this? Seems like all the HW is working and I'm missing a software setting somewhere...

Much thanks,

Joe

Mac Pro (Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), Desktop Video 10.2.4

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 7:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 8:17 AM

YYou have to use the BMD software. FCP can't capture from a live camera.

12 replies

Aug 1, 2015 1:12 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Just checked on the UltraStudio 4K as well. Same effect. No recognition in FCPX.

Not that I have a lot of application for streaming direct. Just wondering why the literature (from BMD) would state "support" for FCPX. I have no doubt files can be created and manipulated in and out of any video processing software. "Support" would suggest something tighter.

Cheers

Joe

Aug 1, 2015 4:49 PM in response to Alchroma

Thanks - That's exactly what I'm going to do. I don't have the right one at hand now but I'll run and get it. In fact that's what I've been doing since the last exchange - searching for the right cam or at least a sync generator. I can't believe the simple cam embedded in the monitor generates a timecode. It would be interesting if it did, and it streams just fine. So logic suggests that it's possible that for some other reason the BMD hardware isn't recognized. Looks like software setup somewhere.

I don't have an UltraStudio MiniMonitor but the output on the 4K is recognized in the "A/V out" settings. So I know the software is seeing the thunderbolt connectivity in the outbound direction, at least to the 4k. It's inbound that's blocked.

There doesn't seem to be much traffic on the usual blogs about this - I just got my BMD gear this week presuming it would work (the BMD website suggests it does on multiple pages). It never occurred to me it wouldn't. So I'm figuring that I've got something set up wonky, and/or that I'm touching a subject people already have been over multiple times and everyone knows the answer (but the new guy).

Cheers,

Joe

Aug 1, 2015 5:41 PM in response to iceowl

I use the BM Intensity Extreme.

The BM capture software works just fine.

I set it to record with ProRes then connect the files to FCP X with SymLinks, no need to double up on drive space.

Not sure what your requirements are but I like to have a camera recording to a card, tape, drive or whatever so if the live stream goofs up I have something to work with.

Al

Aug 2, 2015 10:39 AM in response to Alchroma

Thanks!

Looking over all that was very helpful. Not sure why I'm on this fool's errand anyway - except I had the weird idea to sync the music performance SW with FCPX, live. Using DP9 & a rack of synths coupled to video...was thinking to stream simuaneously to various record platforms.

I can't get to a better camera till tomorrow, but just for grins and totally ignoring the sync I connected a separate TC generator to the UltraStudio 4K just to see if the simple presence of the TC audio would somehow trigger FCPX to recognize the camera. Alas, no dice.

I can stream to MediaExpress just fine. And it even picks up the TC generator perfectly well. The resulting files are striped and when read into FCPX the right thing happens. Just can't get FCPX to stream.

Again, this is not really a necessity. But random injection of TC did not enable FCPX to recognize the cam. I'm clearly missing something very simple.

Oh well, enough of this foolishness for today.

Cheers

Joe

Aug 4, 2015 7:10 AM in response to iceowl

Well, I think I've got to the bottom of the issue in my copious spare time.

The "Cameras" heading on the FCPX Import will only show 2 categories of cameras: 1) cameras on Apple devices, from which you can record the stream live, and 2) cameras connected to USB which are mounted as a file-based device, from which you can download intact recordings in a static manner.

Timecode apparently does not matter. At least it hasn't for anything I have tried. And I agree with what has been said here. Why would you want to record a live stream into FCPX, anyway?

I can't even remember why I started this thread, so I have to agree. Whatever made me want to try that is no longer an issue.

The solution as has been stated here several times is simple: use the BMD applications, either Media or Resolve (in my case, Resolve Lite) if you really want to stream from BMD hardware. Both work just fine, cost nothing, and export to FCPX seamlessly.

Cheers,

Joe

ultra studio mini recorder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.