Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac will not start up and stuck in reboot loop

I have an early 2012 27" iMac which was running the last release of Mavericks OS.

Last week the screen flickered, then went black, then rebooted. It did this a few times over the next few days.

I did some research and decided to upgrade to the next OS (Yosemite 10.10.4). Ran the update, rebooted and then crashed half way through the white apple logo loading screen.

It did restart fine a few times and was working okay until yesterday when the screen went black and then it rebooted.

Now it is stuck a continuous reboot loop where I hear the chimes, see the white screen with he apple logo, the loading bar reaches about 1/4 to a 1/3 and then the screen flashes, goes, white, goes black, reboots - repeat.

I have tried:

1. Reset NVRAM (cmd + opt + p + r)

- white screen with apple logo, loading bar 1/3 full, logo disappears and garbage graphics line appears at top of screen, goes black, plain white, reboots

2. Reset SMC (power off, unplug for 15, plug in, wait 5, start up)

- white screen with apple logo, loading bar 1/3 full, logo disappears and garbage graphics line appears at top of screen, goes black, plain white, reboots

3. Safe Mode

- does not boot into safe mode

4. Boot to Recovery HD

- does not respond to CMD+R

- responds to OPT and I get:

-- hardrive (white apple logo screen does nothing)

-- recovery 10.10.4 (boots as above with the reboot loop)

-- install dvd (white apple screen does nothing)

Anyone have any more ideas about how to access a useful menu so I can run some diagnostics and recovery?

Any thoughts on what hardware is more likely to be the issue as this started happening BEFORE I ran any software OS update?

I've repaired many apple laptop and macs by swapping out hardware - so I don't mind trying this option.

Thanks

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 8:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2017 8:33 AM

Hi roofyro,

Did the new video card solve the problem with your iMac?

I have a late 2011 27" iMac with the exact same symptoms as you had (and tried all the same solutions, with the same results).

Thanks

Steve

22 replies

Jun 26, 2017 5:09 PM in response to Steve Smith

My iMac (2011 27") just did the same thing. According to the App Store, it upgraded to the new Mac OS (which I told it not to do) a few days ago and now I'm getting the gray screen loop. I was able to boot off the DVD OS once and check the disc (said it was okay). It then restarted and I was able to get to my desktop. I tried copying some smaller files to my USB thumbdrive, but before it finished the copy, the screen went beige and restarted. Back to the loop. I was able to get to the desktop one more time, then launched TimeMachine to do a more current back-up and it went black. Now the issue is solid.

Marc

Jun 29, 2017 3:01 AM in response to Larry Jorgenson

Larry,

I took this to the Apple Store last night and they ran a diagnostic. It was indeed the graphics card. A pricey replacement ($700) but they found the problem in less than 10 minutes. The tech told me this is a common problem with iMacs of this generation. It did last six years without issue and fixing it is much cheaper than a brand new computer.

Thanks,

Marc

Jun 29, 2017 8:17 AM in response to marcryan71

There was actually a repair extension for this machine. They replaced these parts for free if you were within 4 years of the purchase date. While a lot of machines probably got fixt a large number of them managed to make it > 4 years before showing symptoms. And you had to have a failure before they would replace it. If your machine was functioning fine, even if it had a known defective part that was more likely to fail than not, they would not replace it. People like you and I and others are SOL. There is no (worthwhile) repair. Replace with new is costly but the only reliable solution. Those who claim they can bake it back to life or reball the chip are rolling the dice for you. Might last years, might last hours. Not worth it in my opinion.

Aug 3, 2015 5:57 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Removed the hard drive, installed it into a external enclosure and mounted it on another iMac. All data reads fine.

Created a bootable USB, installed the hard drive back to the original problematic iMac.

Same issues as in original post checking 1 through 4, still not able to run AHT. When booting off the USB the white apple screen with logo appears, loads 1/4-1/3 along and then screen flickers, blacks and switches off. No reboot here - just complete power down.

I would guess the issue is not as likely to be hard drive related, which leaves...?

- logic board?

- power supply?

iMac will not start up and stuck in reboot loop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.