Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

32GB ipad 1 restore to factory default unknown error -1

Hi Guys,

Dusting off my trusty old ipad1 (32GB 3g), hooked it up to the charger. It then mentioned that it needed to be restored.

The usual options mentioned in the accompanying help did not work, the only option wast to depress the start and home buttons until the iTunes restore screen appears.

Did as specified, iTunes picked picked up that an iPad in Restore mode was connected. Off we go.

Progress bars both on iMac and iPad run to 100%. Then "unknown error -1" dialog box appears.

Tech support was very helpful, informed me about firing up in DFU mode, but this did not help.

Apple tech had one option left, which is hooking up the iPad to an older PC, where it might just be that such an old iPad could probably be revived using older iTunes software.

I happen to have an old Intel Mini lying around doing nothing. Fired it up and retried the procedures. Unfortunately, again "unknown error -1"

What say you, Community? Is it time to ritually part from this old iPad, or do you see any possibility of reviving it?

Thanks,

Hip

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 6:48 AM

2 replies

Aug 1, 2015 7:42 AM in response to Hoot Posthorn

Check for hardware issues

Errors: 1, 3, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 20, 21, 23, 26, 27, 28, 29, 34, 35, 36, 37, 40, 53, 56, 1002, 1004, 1011, 1012, 1014, 1667, or 1669.

Your device or computer might have a hardware issue that stops the update or restore from completing.

1. Check that your security software and settings aren't blocking your device from communicating with the Apple update server.
  2. Then try to restore your iOS device two more times while connected with a cable, computer, and network you know are good.
  3. Make sure that your security software and settings are allowing communication between your device and update servers.
  4. If you still see the error message when you update or restore, contact Apple support.

If you still see the error message, check for outdated or modified software.

Aug 2, 2015 2:50 AM in response to Ralph9430

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for reaching out!

On #1: Checked. No problems there.

On #2: Tried multiple times

On #3: Checked, no problem there

On #4: Done that. Very helpful chap, who went the length to help me out. It was him that suggested to have me fire up an old Mini and try on the older iTunes that lives on that Mini.

Unfortunately to no avail, which left me as only alternative to ask 'The World' through this forum.

Kind regards,

Leo

32GB ipad 1 restore to factory default unknown error -1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.