Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to hard reset through itunes

Need to hard reset my Ipad 2 through itunes any help?

iPad 2, iOS 4.3.3, need to update to Yosemite

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 6:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 8:17 AM

Hi Lee,

Just to be sure I understand, what you want to do is to update your iPad to the newest operating system? And you want to do this through iTunes, while your iPad is connected to the computer?

If you select your device in the iTunes window, you should see a page called Summary that displays information about the device, and has a button labeled "Check for Update." (I may be looking at a different version of iTunes than the one on your computer, but I think all these basic features are roughly the same.) Click this button, and iTunes will look online for the most current version of iOS that's compatible with your device. I believe this will be 8.4 (Yosemite is the name of the current Mac operating system, different from the one that powers the iPad).

You'll see a button labeled something like "Install Update" or "Update Now." If you click this, you may see a window advising you to backup your iPad first. Even if you don't see this window, backing up now, before installing the update, would be a good idea. There should be a button in the iTunes window to do that. When the backup is finished, click the "Install Update" button and relax -- it will take a while to download and install.

That should do it.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2015 8:17 AM in response to LeeWhitlow

Hi Lee,

Just to be sure I understand, what you want to do is to update your iPad to the newest operating system? And you want to do this through iTunes, while your iPad is connected to the computer?

If you select your device in the iTunes window, you should see a page called Summary that displays information about the device, and has a button labeled "Check for Update." (I may be looking at a different version of iTunes than the one on your computer, but I think all these basic features are roughly the same.) Click this button, and iTunes will look online for the most current version of iOS that's compatible with your device. I believe this will be 8.4 (Yosemite is the name of the current Mac operating system, different from the one that powers the iPad).

You'll see a button labeled something like "Install Update" or "Update Now." If you click this, you may see a window advising you to backup your iPad first. Even if you don't see this window, backing up now, before installing the update, would be a good idea. There should be a button in the iTunes window to do that. When the backup is finished, click the "Install Update" button and relax -- it will take a while to download and install.

That should do it.

Aug 1, 2015 10:51 AM in response to richard grant

I have an Ipad 2 that will not power up. At one point, it booted to language choice, then stuck there. I tried to hook to iTunes, but did not recognize, mainly I guess because it is not powered on.

1) Have tried to hard reset with power and other button held down for 10 seconds, no go. It now shows me a usb cable pointed to iTunes.

Anything else you think I can do. Do not mind erasing all.

Bob

how to hard reset through itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.