Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slightly worrying – disappearing Word doc

Hi, I was just working in a Word document which had been saved on my desktop for a week or two. Basically I had finished with it, but re-saved it anyway and then closed the docx file. But it wasn’t on the desktop anymore! I went to Apple > Recent Items > and clicked on the file name but nothing opened. In Word I went to File > Open Recent > clicked on the file, but got a message saying that it could not be located. I did all kinds of manual searches, including the Trash, but cannot find the document.

This is the first time this has happened. Fortunately, it was not an important document. However, I am a little worried that it could happen again with something more important. I back-up regularly, but, still, this was weird and annoying.

Please does anyone have any ideas what might have happened? Just a little worried that my 6-year-old MacBook might be starting to lose its marbles!

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 6:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 8:01 AM

It's likely that there's no way to get you an answer here, unfortunately. Not without far more access auditing enabled than OS X likely even supports.

As for another approach for finding the file (or trying), try Command-Space or the Spotlight button, and enter the filename into the search box.

Etrecheck can sometimes spot disk errors starting or other issues with the environment, but it's unlikely that disk errors will produce an isolated file deletion — usually the mess starts out with file corruptions and beachballs (the "spinning wait cursor") and with system performance degradation, and disk hardware problems usually get larger fairly quickly.

In general, your backups are your path out, because all hardware eventually fails. Including your backup hardware. Even backup hardware can get corrupted and become problematic to access and restore, and that backup hardware can and will eventually fail.

Usual response for this eventuality of failure: have backups. You have backups, which is goodness. For this case, can you fetch the file from your (presumably) Time Machine backup, or whatever else you're using? That'll also test that your backups are viable and functioning, which is also goodness.

FWIW, if you're running a manual backup, I'd switch to Time Machine or some other automatic backup, too. Manually-scheduled backups get skipped. I've skipped them myself.

As for this case, maybe a problem or an error with the Microsoft tools or maybe a file deletion request, or maybe the file save got retargeted somewhere else? I've occasionally deleted a file by accident, while clicking on several files in a group, or saved a file somewhere strange, it's not at all hard to do that without realizing it.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2015 8:01 AM in response to McBrain

It's likely that there's no way to get you an answer here, unfortunately. Not without far more access auditing enabled than OS X likely even supports.

As for another approach for finding the file (or trying), try Command-Space or the Spotlight button, and enter the filename into the search box.

Etrecheck can sometimes spot disk errors starting or other issues with the environment, but it's unlikely that disk errors will produce an isolated file deletion — usually the mess starts out with file corruptions and beachballs (the "spinning wait cursor") and with system performance degradation, and disk hardware problems usually get larger fairly quickly.

In general, your backups are your path out, because all hardware eventually fails. Including your backup hardware. Even backup hardware can get corrupted and become problematic to access and restore, and that backup hardware can and will eventually fail.

Usual response for this eventuality of failure: have backups. You have backups, which is goodness. For this case, can you fetch the file from your (presumably) Time Machine backup, or whatever else you're using? That'll also test that your backups are viable and functioning, which is also goodness.

FWIW, if you're running a manual backup, I'd switch to Time Machine or some other automatic backup, too. Manually-scheduled backups get skipped. I've skipped them myself.

As for this case, maybe a problem or an error with the Microsoft tools or maybe a file deletion request, or maybe the file save got retargeted somewhere else? I've occasionally deleted a file by accident, while clicking on several files in a group, or saved a file somewhere strange, it's not at all hard to do that without realizing it.

Slightly worrying – disappearing Word doc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.