Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I were to connect my PC to my iMac 5k using a VGA to Thunderbolt adapter, may I use my iMac as a display for my PC?

I love my MacBook Pro, so much so that I've contemplated getting a Thunderbolt display and keyboard to work comfortably in my home office. But I'd like to be smart with my money. For a couple hundred more I can get a iMac 5k.

Would a VGA to Thunderbolt cable adapter let me work on my PC using the iMac 5k as a display unit? Granted the image would be much smaller than the screen, but would it work? This will likely be the deal breaker for me.

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), PC vs. iMac 5k display

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 7:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 8:04 AM

Sorry but no, what you are describing is called Target Display Mode. Please read Apple's Target Display Mode: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

3 replies

If I were to connect my PC to my iMac 5k using a VGA to Thunderbolt adapter, may I use my iMac as a display for my PC?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.