Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac wont startup in Osx

Let me start off by saying that i have a bootcamp installed on my mac, and using that partition a lot. Therefore I'm unsure when the mac partition went south, since i only boot from that partition maybe once every 2 weeks.

This is what happens when i try to boot my mac. (BTW it's a mid 2011 Imac 27" 2.4 Ghz)

Apple logo appears along with startup chime.

Then after a few seconds a progress bar appears which then loads up fully after about 10 minutes. After the progress bar finishes it disappears. Then after a few seconds the mac shuts down. When i reboot it does the same thing again. All through the load of the bar the mac makes sounds reminiscent of it shutting off.

I've tried booting in recovery and repairing with disk utility, but it gives me the statement that it cannot repair the HDD and i should back up all files immediately. I've seen forums on the web where people talk about prompting the mac to try again and then being successful after a few attempts and i have tried that but even after it has started repairing seeming to work, it ends up saying that it cannot repair the partition.

All the while i can still boot into my windows partition with no problems.

If you tech savvy people have no idea what i can do to save the mac partition, i would like to hear if any of you have any idea how i can backup some of the files from the mac partition through my windows partition? 🙂

Thanks in advance

Lakkermoose

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 8:38 AM

1 reply

Aug 2, 2015 8:55 AM in response to Lakkermoose

You can try the first 3 - 5th links, but based on what you posted you need to do a backup, preferable 2 separate ones on 2 drives. Boot to the Recovery Volume (command - R on a restart or hold down the option/alt key during a restart and select Recovery Volume). Run Disk Utility Verify/Repair and Repair Permissions until you get no errors. Reformat the drive using Disk Utility/Erase Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then click the Option button and select GUID. Then re-install the OS.

OS X Recovery

OS X Recovery (2)

Startup Issues - Resolve

Startup Issues - Resolve (2)

Startup Issues - Resolve (3)

Mac wont startup in Osx

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.