Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iLife 09 Crashes On Launch

I'm trying to resurrect an old MacBook running 10.5.8. I had an old version of GB, a backup disc, but it crashed on launch every time, and I kept getting the alert message "GB quit unexpectedly."

I chalked it up to a bad disc, and just bought a version of 09 off Amazon--and I'm getting the same thing. (I only care about GB, but EVERY app in the suite is doing the same thing.)

Any ideas? Is there a preference file I should delete to get this running?

Needless to say, I'm aggravated,

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 7:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 8:10 AM

Have you checked the iLife '09 System requirements? iLife '09: System requirements - Apple Support

Did you also install QuickTime /.5.5. from the iLife Installer DVD and any iLife Support update?

The latest version seems to be: iLife Support 9.0.4

Could you post the first 50 lines or so of the crash logs you are receiving? That might give us an idea what is going on.

Since all iLIfe applications seem to be having problems, it might be better to repeat your question in the forum for your Mac model. I cannot really txt any Leopard issues on my Macs, since I am running a newer system version.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2015 8:10 AM in response to Ira8888

Have you checked the iLife '09 System requirements? iLife '09: System requirements - Apple Support

Did you also install QuickTime /.5.5. from the iLife Installer DVD and any iLife Support update?

The latest version seems to be: iLife Support 9.0.4

Could you post the first 50 lines or so of the crash logs you are receiving? That might give us an idea what is going on.

Since all iLIfe applications seem to be having problems, it might be better to repeat your question in the forum for your Mac model. I cannot really txt any Leopard issues on my Macs, since I am running a newer system version.

Aug 1, 2015 12:10 PM in response to léonie

Well, Leonie, I did a software update for iLife, and it updated every app in the suite.

And everything still crashed on launch.

Then I downloaded iLife Support via your link.

AND IT WORKS! IT LAUNCHED, INITIALIZED THE PROGRAM, AND I'M GOING TO PLAY WITH IT LATER! (I have some experience with GB. I use Dent du Midi to split MIDI files into individual tracks/files, and then bring into GB for instrument assignment and remixing.)U

YOU SAVED MY LIFE! I WORSHIP YOU AND THE GROUND YOU WALK ON!

Aug 1, 2015 1:21 PM in response to léonie

Seriously, you're the best. You saved my weekend, and God knows how many other days of disgust,

I don't understand why there's a separate "support" download that simply isn't integrated into the app's updaters, but it's working, so I ain't asking any questions.

So far, everything is mostly cool. I'm importing simple midi tracks and all is working 90% of the time. But because of the limited RAM in this machine, and its processor speed, real time playback halts occasionally because the machine can't handle it. So I have to go through ALL the steps to optimize the app. But 100% real time playback isn't that important to me right now. As long as I can edit my tracks and export, I know all the data is still there.

Again, a MILLION thanks to you!!!

Aug 2, 2015 3:41 PM in response to léonie

This machine has no RAM at ALL. It was my older son's, and only has the shipped 512. So I guess now I should order. (I assume I can still FIND RAM for this thing.)

It now has 512MB 667 MHZ DDR2 SDRAM--and that's 256 in each of the two slots. I THINK you have to upgrade in pairs, and don't know the max RAM it will take.

But I may have another issue, and I haven't played with it yet today to see:

I did a quick Wikipedia read on GB, and it indicated that prior to 10, there was no export function. It would only export to iTunes, and I think some radio app..

Well, this is 9, and I want to be able to bring my GB files into Audacity as AIFF or WAV. Currently, I can easily copy songs from my iTunes library, which are MP3s, and convert them via a free converter. But will the GB export file to iTunes be an MP3 as well, so I can do the same thing?

MInd you, since I'm still pretty ignorant about GB's full functionality, I might not NEED Audacity at all, but for now, I want to learn both programs. You see...

I'm learning these programs for use in animation via Anime Studio Pro, ANOTHER program I'm learning. But for now, I'm mostly concentrating on GB and Audacity.

The only reason I resurrected my son's old MacBook was to be able to run GB. All of my other work is done on my PC:

I know, EECH, but at least I can AFFORD the PC, because my older son now has a brand-new MacBook, and my younger son has a MacBookPro.

The kids get everything, and fatherhood isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Aug 2, 2015 4:47 PM in response to Ira8888

Ira8888 wrote:

I did a quick Wikipedia read on GB, and it indicated that prior to 10, there was no export function. It would only export to iTunes, and I think some radio app..

the wikipedia entry is wrong, every version of GB has been able to export to disk (and really, exporting "to iTunes" is just exporting to disk and adding a database entry in iTunes' data file)

mp3 export was added after version 1.0 (though forget which version), and the initial release of v10 didn't offer mp3 export (it now does)

Aug 2, 2015 5:02 PM in response to HangTime

COOL! Thanks Hang, and for you, Leonie:

I'm right now on the page to "check out" to buy my RAM. Only 40 bucks for 2 2-gig SDRAMs.

Machine takes a max of 3 gigs in two slots, they have to be matched, but the site says I'll see improved performance with 4 because of 128 "addressing," whatever that means. The thing is, what's the point of putting only 3 gigs in there anyway? I don't even think you can, and did they actually make 1.5 SDRAMs at one time? I also was careful to make sure this is compatible with this MacBook 1,1, 1.83ghz.

But should I be concerned at all about the brand/quality I'm buying here, before I pull the trigger and hit the checkout button? (I'll wait for your reply.) I'm ordering via OWC.

Gracias to both of you.

--Ira

Aug 3, 2015 7:38 PM in response to léonie

I payed for FedEx, so it's arriving tomorrow (Tuesday). And the replacement battery for my younger boy's MacBook Pro is arriving tomorrow.

And it's my 26th anniversary, so it should be a h*ll of a day. (And I can't believe this forum won't let me type "h*ll.")

I hope at least two out of three of these experiences turn out positive.

HAH!!!

Aug 4, 2015 2:02 PM in response to léonie

So far, it's a disaster:

Last night, I realized I ordered the wrong RAM--even before it got here. I need for MacBook 1,1...not 2,1. Yeah,I ordered the correct stuff this morning, and they gave me an authorization to return the wrong stuff for a refund, but I had paid $17 for Fedex. (Don't drink beer when buying RAM.)

Next, the replacement battery for the MacBook Pro didn't change a thing. She still won't boot up.

I followed all recommended procedures...remove battery, power adapter, hold power button down 5 seconds, replace everything...but still nothing. The hard drive light comes on, and the fan blows (in a very quiet mode so I don't know how hard it's supposed to blow), but the power button never lights up and the display shows nothing.

80 bucks for the battery and new power supply, so I'm disgusted.

WIfe works overnights and she's sleeping now, and we're supposed to go out for dinner, but I might very well be 0 for 3 today.

iLife 09 Crashes On Launch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.