Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my mac restart when idle?

So, here is the jist of the situation which itself isn't a problem, just more of an annoyance and has me wondering why.

I have a 2015 MacBook Pro, and if I let it sit idle and then wake it up it either does one of two things:

a) Returns me to my password screen so that I can log back in or, and this is the question,

b) Wakes up with both my name and a guest account option that makes me think the Mac rebooted itself as, after I log in to my account, it has to reload the whole operating system.

Why does it do this? I see no need for the computer to restart itself 3 out of every 5 times this happens and I am wondering if I could either have a problem or if this is just something normal that I have to get used to.

Thank all of you so much!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 8:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 8:56 AM

From the menu bar, select

 ▹ System Preferences... ▹ Security & Privacy

If there's a closed padlock icon in the lower left corner of the preference pane, click it and enter your login password when prompted.

Click the Advanced button and, in the sheet that opens, uncheck the box marked

Log out after … minutes of inactivity

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2015 8:56 AM in response to supernova6

From the menu bar, select

 ▹ System Preferences... ▹ Security & Privacy

If there's a closed padlock icon in the lower left corner of the preference pane, click it and enter your login password when prompted.

Click the Advanced button and, in the sheet that opens, uncheck the box marked

Log out after … minutes of inactivity

Why does my mac restart when idle?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.