Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Power Issue

HI everyone,

i am having some issues with my sister-in-laws MacBook pro. Long story short, water was spilled on the keyboard. I was given the MBP when the battery expanded to twice its size. I replaced the battery and that appeared to fix any problems. While I was searching, I looked for any sign of corrosion in the mobo and there was none. There was minor staining on th ebottom of the trackpad. After rebooting, the trackpad functioned normally.

About one month later I got the MBP back, it would not turn on. Battery indicator just blinked rapidly. When I plugged in the power cord, the green light came on, but never changed to orange. I have tried resetting SMC, PRAM and NVRAM. Nothing worked. The computer would not turn on.

I then tried unplugging the power adapter, holding the power button, while holding the power I plugged in the power cord and the light didn't turn on. I let go of the power button, and pressed it ... It turned on. Fans were running high, green light on power cable. It was a black screen and beeped three times with five second delay. I removed one ram stick, same thing. Removed the other and replaced it with the first one. It booted.

It went to a grey log in screen (no log in tone by the way). I tried logging in and it wouldn't let me, a progress bar would pop up ... Go half way then reboot. I rebooted in safe mode and I could log in.

This is where I am at now. The battery icon shows that there is no battery, yet it's new. I am avoiding taking it to the Apple Store as mainly I would like to try to resolve myself first, also to save on costs.

Any thoughts? Recommendations? All is greatly appreciated.

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 10:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 10:30 AM

Chris Jabroni wrote:

I am avoiding taking it to the Apple Store as mainly I would like to try to resolve myself first, also to save on costs.

Take it to the Apple store genius bar. The evaluation will be FREE and you probably get a superior assessment of the problems there than on this forum. Any repair quotes that may be given can always be declined.

Ciao.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2015 10:30 AM in response to Chris Jabroni

Chris Jabroni wrote:

I am avoiding taking it to the Apple Store as mainly I would like to try to resolve myself first, also to save on costs.

Take it to the Apple store genius bar. The evaluation will be FREE and you probably get a superior assessment of the problems there than on this forum. Any repair quotes that may be given can always be declined.

Ciao.

Aug 3, 2015 4:14 AM in response to Chris Jabroni

If the MBP seems to operate with a safe boot, usually it suggests that a third party application may be the problem. The situation in your case is complicated by the spill.

This is what I would do;

Backup all user data (preferably on two separate disks)

Erase the HDD and install the original OSX (Snow Leopard?)

That eliminates any influence from third party applications.

If the MBP is still not functioning correctly, then you are dealing with hardware problems and should start thinking about a 2 hour drive to the Apple store.

Ciao.

MacBook Pro Power Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.