Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to migrate second time to Photos

I accidentally migrated to Photos. I know I can keep using iPhoto which appears to be fine. But if I make changes in iPhoto, how can I make a second migration to Photos at a later date when ultimately I want to convert permanently and overwrite my initial mistaken migration? I have made no edits in Photos.

Thanks, Ralph

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 8:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 8:37 AM

You can migrate an iPhoto Library anytime to Photos by dragging the iPhoto Library onto the Photos icon in the Dock. Photos will create a new, converted Photo Library on the same drive as the iPhoto Library you are converting.

The iPhoto Library will be renamed to xxxx.migratedphotolibrary, but otherwise remain untouched and the new Photos Library will open in Photos.

After Photos launches open the Preferences and in the Preferences > General click the button "Use as System Photo Library". This way the new Photos library will be used for the Media Browser in other applications.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2015 8:37 AM in response to Ralph Daily

You can migrate an iPhoto Library anytime to Photos by dragging the iPhoto Library onto the Photos icon in the Dock. Photos will create a new, converted Photo Library on the same drive as the iPhoto Library you are converting.

The iPhoto Library will be renamed to xxxx.migratedphotolibrary, but otherwise remain untouched and the new Photos Library will open in Photos.

After Photos launches open the Preferences and in the Preferences > General click the button "Use as System Photo Library". This way the new Photos library will be used for the Media Browser in other applications.

How to migrate second time to Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.