Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Outside devices appear on my network

I have just changed my ISP, and the whole setup seems to have got crazy. I am also a bit concerned about the security of my network.

My setup is the following:

a. ISP router/modem

b. Airport Extreme (w/Time Capsule) providing the wireless network.

c. AE in bridge mode

d. ISP router/modem connected to AE through the WAN port

Now, I have been having a lot of problems of several devices to properly connect to the wireless (iPhones, mini-mac), but really got concerned when Airport Utility showed me other devices in the network! (my AE is "Capsula do Tempo"). So how do these other devices show here? Is there any security risk I should be aware?

User uploaded file

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 9:16 AM

8 replies

Aug 1, 2015 2:21 PM in response to andre.oas

Your ISP is likely using private instead of public IP addresses.. and so other people using the same IP are actually also showing up .. are you in a building and the ISP is servicing the building with ethernet??

Show me the actual configuration of each unit.. click it and see if it shows up.. if you are on a combined private IP system the security is compromised if you use simple passwords.. so make sure you are using decent long passwords with a mix of case and numbers.

Aug 2, 2015 8:32 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks for answering LaPastenague,

I live in single house. However I subscribed now the "Professional" package... and I a guessing this has a different treatment from the ISP (notice: I currently live in Mozambique)

Clicking on each unit only provides the Hardware info, no IP details. (except for mine).

I do have long passwords with mix case, numbers and symbols.

For now, I can't seem to have proper connections. OS devices take long (10 minutes or more) to acquire wifi, but when eventually they do, it seems to mostly work, but sometimes it breaks again.

What can I do with my configurations on AE to adjust to this?

Or alternative, any hint on what should I be asking from my ISP?

Thanks again.

Aug 2, 2015 9:06 AM in response to andre.oas

If you call Apple Support, they will advise you to change a router mode setting on Capsula do Tempo as follows:

Open AirPort Utility

Click on the picture of Capsula do Tempo

Click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Click the Network tab at the top of the next window

Change the setting for Router Mode from Off (Bridge Mode) to DHCP and NAT

Click Update and wait for a complete minute to allow the device to restart

The indicator light on Capsula will be slowly blinking amber at this time.

Test out the network for a few hours to make sure that all of your devices will connect correctly

If everything seems to be OK, post back and we will tell you how to display a green light on Capsula

Aug 4, 2015 12:59 PM in response to andre.oas

The DHCP and NAT setting will "shield" you from other users who might be on the same shared network that your ISP is providing to other users.

In other words, you cannot "see" them on the network....and they cannot "see" you, so the DHCP and NAT setting is the best choice in terms of security when you are on a shared network with other users.

Is the light still blinking amber? If so, we can tell you how to display a green light if you want to do that.

Outside devices appear on my network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.