Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari extremely slow

I should start by stating that I:

• Ruled out problems with my DSL connection, disabled WiFi, connected by ethernet cable, you name it
  • Downloaded, installed and tried Firefox. It shows websites fast like a 
 fox?
  • Deleted every single preference file and cache related to Safari I could find in ~/Library/ There are a lot of helpful tips in these forums (Obviously no way to get Safari to a factory reset these days? No matter what I trash it still remembers my setting, homepage, you name it.)
  • have no proxy set (I once tried GlimmerBlocker—which sets a local proxy—but removed it and it settings and made sure proxy is back to “none”)
  • deleted Cookies
  • removed extensions

The way it shows to me it really looks like DNS trouble: Google and DuckDuckGo load quick and without problems most other sites are so slow that I sometimes get a message that the server doesn't answer, but loading the same site at the same time in Firefox works without a hitch.

Had to wait forever to reach this discussion board now it seems to be working.

Here comes the kicker: I have an almost virgin test account where Safari shows the same behavior and Firefox is a quick as before.

I'm at a total loss regarding where to look further. This has to be an issue outside my user account.

I like Safari. I want to use it. I even find Firefox' GUI appalling.

Suggestions? Maybe unbeknownst to me there is still some GlimmerBlocker residue in my system?

Message was edited by: Udo from Berlin Added two points it the list what I already tried

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), null

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 8:35 AM

9 replies

Aug 1, 2015 8:40 AM in response to Udo from Berlin

If you haven't tried these steps already

1. Delete Cookies

Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Cookies and other website data:

Click the “Details” button.

Remove all cookies except ones from Apple, your internet service provider and banks.

2. Safari > Preferences > Extensions

Turn off Extensions if any and launch Safari again to test.

Turn on those one by one and test.

Aug 1, 2015 9:05 AM in response to Udo from Berlin

I had the same issue some time ago. I removed all extensions in Safari (except DuckDuckGo) , deleted all cookies, including Apple, Banks and provider (so that I had again to accept them afterwards), and all the other things already mentioned. What helped me was changing the Network settings:

SystemPreferences->Network->WiFi->Advanced:

TCP/IP tab: Configure IPv6 to "Local-Link only"

DNS tab: add 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8 and 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

Proxies tab: no settings at all

Hardware tab: Configure to "manually", MTU to "custom", set mtu to 1453 instead of the auto 1500 setting.

I must confess I do not fully understand why this helped Safari while Firefox and Opera were already not having the issue.

Lex

Aug 1, 2015 9:09 AM in response to Udo from Berlin

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Aug 1, 2015 10:16 AM in response to Lexiepex

LexSchellings wrote:

SystemPreferences->Network->WiFi->Advanced:

As I mentioned, right now I'm not on wifi, but ethernet.

But I tried that anyway. No change. 😐

TCP/IP tab: Configure IPv6 to "Local-Link only"

Hardware tab: Configure to "manually", MTU to "custom", set mtu to 1453 instead of the auto 1500 setting.

I remember doing something like this years back on another machine.

DNS tab: add 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8 and 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

Those are DNS servers by Google and OpenDNS. I'm really sure the DNS is not the issue 🙂

Aug 1, 2015 10:28 AM in response to Udo from Berlin

Start up in Recovery mode. In the OS X Utilities screen, select Get Help Online. A clean copy of Safari will launch. No plugins, such as Flash, will be available. While in Recovery, you'll have no access to your saved bookmarks or passwords, so make a note of those before you begin, if they're needed for the test.

Test. After testing, restart as usual and post the results.

Aug 1, 2015 4:17 PM in response to Linc Davis

Linc Davis wrote:

Start up in Recovery mode. In the OS X Utilities screen, select Get Help Online. A clean copy of Safari will launch.

OK. I did recovery mode twice, once from internal HD, once from Time Machine backup. Did rights and disk repair since i was there.

Same problems with Safari. 😐

Now I logged in here via my iPhones personal hotspot. And even with the slower phone connection everything is faster.

So I have to really wonder if my DSL provider did change something that is responsible for my problems? But I really wouldn't know where to look. I'm kinda sure the problem is not on my side though.

Safari extremely slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.