Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine doesn't backup new files

When I make changes to files and save them on my desktop, time machine doesn't save them to my external hard drive. Actually many of the folders don't show up at all. I have to manually drag the folders into the external drive. Even then, when time machine does a backup, those folders just have the items they had when I dragged the folder in. I've gone to the "options" section in Time Machine and there is NOTHING in the Exclusion page except my external hard drive. Any suggestions? I think it's kind of pointless to have Time Machine if it doesn't actually backup everything.

I have Yosemite and Snow Leopard.

Thank You

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 7:56 AM

17 replies

Aug 2, 2015 9:22 AM in response to Tara Easley

I have time machine with snow leopard and no problem- but I do understand that, If I want extra saves on what I am working on - save the file - and do a Backup now from the time machine menu -- that allows me to have extra backups for a floating 24 hour period (default hourly backups).

I don't fathom why you are dragging and dropping files into time machine - as that is not the way it works at all.

Aug 2, 2015 9:35 AM in response to notcloudy

I know that's not how it works, that's the problem! Dragging them in there is just a temporary fix until I can figure out how to fix this. Maybe I should just clear off the external hard drive altogether and re-install it? The latest versions of everything I need are on my desktop, so maybe I should just start all over! I'll call the WD Passport Hard Drive tech support tomorrow and see what they think, but I'm sure it's a Time Machine issue and not a hard drive one.

Aug 2, 2015 10:04 AM in response to Tara Easley

Tara Easley wrote:

I know that's not how it works, that's the problem! Dragging them in there is just a temporary fix until I can figure out how to fix this. Maybe I should just clear off the external hard drive altogether and re-install it? The latest versions of everything I need are on my desktop, so maybe I should just start all over! I'll call the WD Passport Hard Drive tech support tomorrow and see what they think, but I'm sure it's a Time Machine issue and not a hard drive one.

In your original post you state you have Snow Leopard and Yosemite -- if on the same Mac - which version are you actually running - most of the time - that is the one that should control time machine.

Aug 2, 2015 4:16 PM in response to Tara Easley

Tara Easley wrote:

Yosemite 10.10.2

Apple Yosemite help says it may not back up some files because the software manufacturer won't allow it 😮

Also - when you upgraded to yosemite did it ask you if you wanted to inherit the backup? That may be the problem - also in Yosemite help on-line

If you Search this site - using the search button next to People - there are a number of same type of threads.

Aug 3, 2015 5:48 PM in response to Tara Easley

Tara Easley wrote:

I don't remember what it said when I upgraded to Yosemite. It was a long time ago. Thank you for looking this stuff up for me. Do you think it would work if I just do a re-install of the external hard drive? Maybe I can find an update for it or Yosemite that would make them work better together.

If you went from Snow-leopard to Yosemite - that is the problem - when I checked out Maverick I pulled down some of its time machine notes - and apparently you have to be at Lion or above to be able to inherit the Time Machine backup.

Rather rude of Apple - as it is insisting on jumps to the latest without adding necessary conversion steps missed in the intervening levels.

Time Machine doesn't backup new files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.