Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipod classic not syncing 12.1.2

I have an ipod classic 128GB. I'm running Windows Vista (64bit), and just installed iTunes 12.1.2 last night after 12.2.0 would be unresponsive. I'm trying to sync my classic but iTunes is not recognizing the device. If it does show up in itunes, it won't sync. I tried to restore it the one time it did show up, and it gave me error 1439. The device shows up fine in windows file explorer when plugged in. Did apple stop supporting one of the best standalone music playing devices it has ever made? This thing is a tank and plays music like no tomorrow. Do I need to try installing an earlier version of iTunes? If so, which one? The support site is not helpful at all for this issue, just trying to push 12.2.1 which doesn't even work with Vista.

iPod classic, iOS 2.x

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 8:58 AM

11 replies

May 11, 2017 8:44 AM in response to molly961

Hi Molly, not sure if you have this issue still? Anyhow I have the PERFECT solution to fix this issue, and it's very simple to do? Forget everything else that you have tried. OK firstly open your Windows Explorer (folder on your taskbar - lower left side, the one near Start on windows 10) then plug your ipod into your usb port. Then click onto THIS PC and wait for windows explorer to scan your device, it will show up on the right hand side along with your other Devices and Drives [i.e. OS (C:)] it will appear just like your main drive C (or whatever yours is) when this has appeared, right click with your mouse onto that and you will have an option to FORMAT, click onto that and follow the procedures provided within the box that appears and click FORMAT or APPLY (I forgot which, but you get the point) once this has been done, you should notice that your ipod will be going through the rebooting procedure, once that has completed and reset itself, you now need to open iTunes which will then welcome you as if you have just bought your ipod ;o) sorted.

Aug 1, 2015 9:12 AM in response to jro.alan

You may have more luck with the "for older video cards" version. The last one that works with 64-bit Vista is:

iTunes 12.1.2.27 for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards)- itunes64setup.exe (2015-04-09)

See also Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates for general advice and Re: Corrupt iPod classic just to rule out any issues with the device itself. Try an alternate cable/port.

tt2

Aug 1, 2015 9:42 AM in response to jro.alan

I am having the same problem except I am running Windows 10 with iTunes 12. Both recognize my iPod classic, I have a 120GB and 160 GB Classics, that I love. My problem is mainly with the new iTunes, not only did I have to re-download ALL of my music, but also my Podcasts that I had were wiped out by the new iTunes. Now my 120 GB will not sync with the new iTunes and I will not hook up my 160 GB until I can find a way to get back ALL of my Podcasts.

This is a huge pain in the butt and I am searching for some answers.

Aug 1, 2015 9:49 AM in response to ScarecrowA7X

Did you check to see if your content was still on the computer before redownloading? It may have been a case of Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash.

Regarding the podcasts see Re: Why did iTunes 11.1 (126) delete all (SEVERAL HUNDRED) Podcasts? and this post later in the same thread that mentions some possible file recovery tools that might be able to reclaim some of the lost files. If the lost episodes are on your iPod see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device.

tt2

Aug 1, 2015 10:04 AM in response to turingtest2

I just went with the easier route and "Transferred my Purchases" from my iPod. It was quicker and easier IMO and with the music that I physically own I have backed up on several different external HD's (never hurts to be careful). Now I am looking into how I can get all of my podcasts off of my 160GB and into iTunes. If I can do that then I will be golden and start focusing on the syncing issue.

Also, Thank You for a very quick reply.

Sep 17, 2015 11:28 AM in response to turingtest2

There is a new release of iTunes for Windows XP 32-bit and Windows Vista 32/64 which includes support for iOS 9.

tt2

Jan 19, 2016 2:08 PM in response to molly961

If you put the device in disk mode can you view it in Windows Explorer?

Is the iPod service running? Click the start button and type in services.msc then press enter/return. Start the iPod Service if it is isn't running and try again. If it isn't listed tear down and reinstall iTunes. See Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

tt2

ipod classic not syncing 12.1.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.