Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

os x partition disappeared

Hello, I am using a late 2013 IMac with a intel i5-4570R @ 2.7Ghz, 8GB of ram and a 1tb apple mechanical hard drive.

I created a boot camp partition for windows 7 of around 230GB on my Mac, I followed all the instructions and set it up successfully. However, I realised quickly that I needed a bit more space, so I used a paragon partition manager to increase the size of the windows partition to 300GB (now I know this isn't the right way to do it, I should of found the proper way to avoid this). It all worked fine until I wanted to switch back to os x Yosemite, boot camp manager didn't recognise any other partition except for the windows one. All of the Yosemite files are still there but I cannot boot into them, I've tried booting into safe mode but it doesn't work; booting up windows instead.

Is there anything I can do?

iMac, Windows 7, Now it's running windows 10

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 9:15 AM

9 replies

Aug 1, 2015 9:25 AM in response to Thomas Hyde

Yes. Your tool modified the MBR side of Windows and had no knowledge of a Hybrid MBR which requires it to be synced with the GPT side of OS X. This is why BC partitions should not be resized/repartitioned.

It may be possible to recover OS X and Windows.

Please post the output of the following Terminal command.

diskutil list

diskutil cs list

sudo gpt -vv -r show /dev/disk0

sudo fdisk /dev/disk0

The "sudo" commands will prompt for your password, and it will not be echoed back. You may also see a warning about improper use of "sudo" and potential data loss due to "abuse" of the command.

Aug 1, 2015 2:04 PM in response to Thomas Hyde

Your disk layout shows OS X is still intact. It may also boot correctly.

You have two options.

1. If you have Internet Connectivity from the Windows side then

a. Download drivers specific to your Mac from System requirements to install Windows on your Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support unless you see BCA in the tables. BCA requires OS X.

b. If you do get the drivers, run setup.exe from the Bootcamp folder and use the Control Panel-> System -> Boot Camp and switch to OS X.

c. If that does not work, use 2.

2. Run the following steps.

a. Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

b. How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

If neither works, please post back here, and we will try additional options.

os x partition disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.