Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to restore ipad to factory settings 'restore ipad opens a new folder'

I'm in charge of wiping an old 'Ipad 1' that was used by an employee who left the company long ago, therefore I can't do it from setting as I don't have the req. password.

When i plug the device into Itunes once on recovery mode Itunes detects it and i see the option "Restore Ipad". The issue is when i click here it opens a ne windows with file directory looking for me to select a file... what file? no idea. I presume a previous backup... ? I simply cant restore because of that.

I did try to do a Manual encrypted backup from itunes of the current device/account but nor sure where to locate this.

Thanks in advance!

iPad, iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 9:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 8:30 AM

Hey Hugiiii,

It sounds as though, when attempting to restore the iPad, that you're getting an Explorer window that's expecting you to choose a file. This behavior typically occurs when you hold the "Shift" key while clicking on Restore iPad. When clicking Restore iPad without holding any modifier keys, you should receive a simple prompt asking if you're sure that you want to restore the device.

If you're not holding any keys down when clicking on "Restore iPad..." yet still receiving the same request for a file, then you might try restoring the iPad on another computer.

1. In the Summary panel, click Restore.

User uploaded file

2. Click Restore again to confirm that you want to restore your device to factory settings and delete all data and content. iTunes will download the device software file and restore your device.

User uploaded file

Use iTunes to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

Regards

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2015 8:30 AM in response to Hugiiii

Hey Hugiiii,

It sounds as though, when attempting to restore the iPad, that you're getting an Explorer window that's expecting you to choose a file. This behavior typically occurs when you hold the "Shift" key while clicking on Restore iPad. When clicking Restore iPad without holding any modifier keys, you should receive a simple prompt asking if you're sure that you want to restore the device.

If you're not holding any keys down when clicking on "Restore iPad..." yet still receiving the same request for a file, then you might try restoring the iPad on another computer.

1. In the Summary panel, click Restore.

User uploaded file

2. Click Restore again to confirm that you want to restore your device to factory settings and delete all data and content. iTunes will download the device software file and restore your device.

User uploaded file

Use iTunes to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

Regards

Trying to restore ipad to factory settings 'restore ipad opens a new folder'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.