Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

virtual machine

Hi I need a sincere advice, I have been using MAC for a long time and I really love it, but my work is kind of leaning me into buying a Windows. I just wanted to know if I buy a high end macbook pro with a 16gb ram and i7 quad processor will it be able to run 3 Virtual Machines running Windows Server 2012 (enterprise) and SQL Server 2012 (enterprise) as I wanted to create a HighAvailability Always On / Mirroring scenario. Or should I just go forward with a Windows machine and cut all this hassle and just create 2 VM's in it and let the primary OS running in it act as a host. Thanks

MacBook Pro, iOS 7.0.1

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 10:55 AM

1 reply

Aug 1, 2015 4:17 PM in response to smajid101

When running a virtual machine you will be running both OSX and Windows at the same time. Each will be sharing your computer's resources such as RAM. So you will not be able to use all your computer's power for your servers. BTW, SQL Server runs in Windows it does not require another VM to run, unless you want to keep it separate by installing another instance of Windows in a separate VM.

My advice is to do as your employer is suggesting and get a dedicated Windows computer running Windows and your servers in an environment consistent with what your work wants. Your servers will not have to share resources with OSX in this environment.

virtual machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.