Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't empty items from trash in Yosemite

Sometime ago, I sought to delete a bunch of back-ups from my external HD to free up some memory space. The trash has been strange ever since. I'm not sure how it originally happened, but I found I had one item—Audiogalaxy Helper.app—would not delete. I got the delete locked and/or unlocked items dialogue, and no matter what I checked, I think was asked skip certain items, which this app and the folders that contained it. I've attached 2 screenshots of the trash in the finder folder. The first shows this app and folders. As you can see, it's inside a folder called BS. Well, I tried to deal with this by moving the item out of the trash. Apparently, however, it just copied it to my hard disk, rather than deleting it. In messing with it, I ended up with what you see. I really do not know how i ended up with a "BS folder too" inside another folder inside the "BS folder."

the 2nd photo is of what is inside the other folders in the trash. I know neither how CrashPlan.app became the new app that won't delete, nor how so many copies of it and its folders ended up in my trash folder, although they are clearly back-up files from my external hard disk. As an attempted remedy, I wiped my hard disk and restored it from the Time Machine backup. The stubborn files were still in the trash folder afterwards. And at some point after that, all of these other feels appeared there. I'm at a loss. It's not really problem, except that to delete anything, I have to go through the "skip" dialogue clicking skip for every item that won't delete, which is something like 120+ files. So that is quite annoying, even though I can do it fairly quickly. Any ideas, either on why this happened or what I can do about it? Thanks in advance.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 10:39 AM

7 replies

Aug 2, 2015 8:15 PM in response to kguess

Such a tough app to remove. - -

You can follow 3 methods below to try if it works.

1. Secure Empty Trash

• Command+Right Click the Trash can
  • Select “Secure Empty Trash

User uploaded file

2.Finder-Secure Empty Trash

With anything in the Trash, pull down "Finder" menu and choose "Secure Empty Trash"

User uploaded file

3. Using pro program to permanently remove it without any leftover remained. such as a free app-MacClean.

can't empty items from trash in Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.