Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I unlink/sign out my Account without the email staying on the phone's settings?

I'm not a techie person, so please bare with me.

Situation: --------------------------------

We recently purchased an Iphone for my 16 year old son. He obviously does not have an appleid of his own, to which he can link a credit card to. For him to download the "essential" apps a kid needs, I logged in my account into his phone in order for him to download facebook, youtube, whatssap and the like.

When that was done - I signed my account out of his app store in the settings. It however kept my account email in the entry field despite trying to reset and erase all content and what not as other online searches have shown.

Again, not a techie person - I am worried that that anyone messing around with my kid's phone can just tap - forgot password or attempt to reset it and cause me some odd inconvenience. While I trust my child with respecting the value of my account, I cannot have him strong arm his naughty peers who may or may not have itchy fingers when playing around with his phone. This is a vulnerability that a non techie person like me is worried about.

---------------------------------------------

The bottom line question is -

HOW DO I REMOVE MY EMAIL FROM HIS APP STORE SETTINGS - WITHOUT HAVING TO SIGN IN WITH ANOTHER ACCOUNT?

And in hindsight,

How on earth does Apple expect young Iphone owners to download apps while they still cannot own their own credit cards? I'm sure it goes without saying that parents or guardians have to settle that for them. But why on earth leave their accounts, emails vulnerable is such a way? Can anyone explain this to a non techie guy like me?

Thanks.

J

iPhone 6, app store account.

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 11:04 AM

1 reply

Aug 3, 2015 9:22 AM in response to themimegogo

Greetings themimegogo,

You ask some great questions about how to remove your Apple ID from critical places in the iPhone and how to manage your son's purchasing activity on the iPhone.

Apple has recently introduced a feature that you might find useful, called Family Sharing. Described more fully in this article - Family Sharing - among other things allows your son to make purchases for his own Apple ID using your credit card. Optionally, you can also activate Ask to Buy, described here - Request and make purchases with Ask to Buy for his account, which means that he must have approval for any purchase he makes using his Apple ID (and your credit card.)

When you set this up for your son, he would get his own Apple ID and you could then use that Apple ID for him to sign in with on the iPhone. To remove your Apple ID from the iPhone's settings, go to Settings > iTunes & App Store > tap the Apple ID and select Sign Out from the menu. Note that you can create a new Apple ID for your son in this same area. See this article for reference - Sign in with a different Apple ID on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Be well.

How do I unlink/sign out my Account without the email staying on the phone's settings?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.