Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to edit a Word Document after it's been exported from Pages?

I am a first time user of Macbooks and have recently gotten my first one.

Begining with pages, I tried to save my document by exporting it to Word

ie: File>Export as>Word Doc.

As a result, it would create a word document onto my desktop. Later on, with everything closed, I would open the word document and attempt to edit some of my work, in which there is no problem; however, as I try to save it, a window would open prompting me to save the document as another file.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), iOS 8.4

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 1:24 PM

1 reply

Aug 1, 2015 4:24 PM in response to hkishawi

When you export a document to Word format, and then reopen that document in Pages, it is no longer foo.docx, but now after translation, it is a new Pages (.pages) document that has yet to be saved. Every time that you open that Word document, you will have to make a choice — overwrite the previous save effort, or save to another filename.

To create, edit, and save a Word document in its native document architecture, you will need Word from Office for Mac 2011, or if you have Yosemite, Office 2016 for Mac. Pages is not going to do this.

How to edit a Word Document after it's been exported from Pages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.