Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 10 and iPod Nano 5th gen don't play well together

I made the mistake of upgrading to the newest version of itunes and that is when trouble started.

windows 10 (not beta, not tech preview) recognizes usb ipod in windows explorer until itunes starts up, whereupon ipod disappears from windows explorer (and device driver status then indicates "windows is uninstalling this device (code 21)". Device status was ok prior to itunes starting up. Meanwhile, itunes says ipod has been detected but could not be identified properly.

No officially recommended solutions work to resolve this. Reinstalls don't help. Resets don't work. A different usb port doesn't resolve. An older version of itunes does not resolve the issue. All drivers are up to date. Etc.

Only thing I have not done is to remove all references to itunes in the registry.

Any suggestions? (again, no officially recommended solutions have worked to resolve this)

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 1:26 PM

8 replies

Aug 1, 2015 3:14 PM in response to rutro

When you say "reinstalling doesn't help" have you followed the procedure given in turingtest2's user tip on Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates to remove all components of prior installations before reinstalling iTunes? Issues with iPod connectivity often stem from an "orphaned"

If you're using a 64-bit edition of Windows, it may also be worth installing the "For older video cards" version of iTunes 12.2.1 (link in the referenced user tip) - ignore the name, this is actually (like all versions of iTunes up to 12.0) the 32-bit application with a 64-bit installer. In some cases this may be more compatible with specific hardware/OS/drivers configurations and work where the "full" 64-bit version of Windows does not.

FWIW, I have 12.2.1 running with both 32- and 64-bit editions of Windows 10, and don't have problems with iPods (2nd, 3rd and 7th gen nanos) being detected and syncing correctly - suggesting that there's no fundamental incompatibility involved. The differences between the 5th and 7th gen nanos shouldn't be significant here - they use near-identical hardware and firmware.

Aug 1, 2015 3:42 PM in response to Vegan Advocate

"I am using 64-bit Windows since XP, and the first x64 bit version of iTunes onwards"

The "64-bit" versions of iTunes prior to 12.1 are all 32-bit applications with some 64-bit code (mainly the installer). Apple never supported any 64-bit edition of Windows XP (though there were workarounds for this). The last version to support XP/Vista (12.1.2) was very specific regarding its OS support:

• Windows XP SP3 - 32-bit installer only
  • Windows Vista, 7 and 8 - 32- and 64-bit installers, plus the "for older video cards" version for some 64-bit systems

I'm not sure of the relevance of this to the OP's question, other than to restate that some users have found the "for older video cards" versions of iTunes 12.1 and later to work on 64-bit editions of Windows where the "full" 64-bit versions do not.

Aug 2, 2015 8:06 AM in response to rutro

It is working now! Not sure what fixed it b/c I did several things:

- more than one reset in a row of the ipod (and the last one took very long before I saw the apple logo appear);

- deeper removal of files and folders;

- registry cleaning

[then, install of newest itunes]

[fwiw, my windows 10 is 64-bit]

Windows 10 and iPod Nano 5th gen don't play well together

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.