Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Alpha disorder?!, Ank before Ana?

I finally was able to post something here!, Not only iTunes has bugs, Apple does also, it's like there's a few rotten apple in their basket and they can't find it?!. Anyway, like the tittle says, there's some bugs with the alphabetical order in iTunes, I was looking for an artist's name starting with "Ande..." so I was looking just after "Anc" but it wasn't there so I typed the name in the search bar to make sure I still have it and there it was, so I checked the list of artists again and finally found it, it was right after "Ang"?!, but not "Ang"after "Anf", no, it was after "Ank" which was after "Anv" which followed "Amy"where the mix-up was starting. So it's Alpha Disorder but only in the "AN..." portion of the alphabet, weird bug?!.

I wanted to post the other day (but was not able to) about another issue which is much more annoying then this little alpha bug. When adding new albums or making tag changes, it's slow like it was 1999?!, is it just me or what?!. Adding an album takes up to 5 mins sometime which makes no sense, correcting only 1 letter in a tittle, album or artist name takes mins sometime also?!. could it be because iTunes is too loaded with my over 100,000 songs?!. I don't know but it sure is the most annoying thing after the last update.

You would think that a multi-Billion $ company like Apple would have the best media player out there but for the past 5 years it's only got worse, what gives?!.

I still keep using it because I own an iPhone and iPod so I need it but I can't wait to see Apple get it right, I still have Faith in them but Please give us what we deserve!.. Keeping Hope Alive...

iPhone 5, iOS 8.4, null

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 12:42 PM

12 replies

Aug 1, 2015 12:56 PM in response to Spike Martin

The size of your library will certainly slow things down. If you have any smart playlists all 100,000+ tracks will be re-evaluated for membership of those playlists each time you make a change to the database. The more lists you have the slower it will get. If your library files are stored on an external or NAS drive that will also incur a performance hit.

I don't see any oddities with sorting in my library, and in particular none with Artists, Albums or Songs that begin An. Could the issue be explained by a rogue sort value?

tt2

Aug 1, 2015 1:56 PM in response to turingtest2

There are some oddities in the sort order in Artists view - these appeared in 12.2 and were not fixed by 12.2.1. These two screenshots show what's happening:

User uploaded file

where the expected order is Assembly of Dust, The Associates ("The" automatically suppressed), Aswad, Average White Band, and:

User uploaded file

where it should be listed as Bachman-Turner Overdrive, Bad Company, Angelo Badalamenti (Sort Artist set to "Badalamenti, Angelo), Philip Bailey ("Bailey, Philip"), The Band, The Band of Heathens, The Bangles, Barclay James Harvest. I have reported the issue, using these examples, using the Feedback pages.

Aug 1, 2015 2:06 PM in response to hhgttg27

Follow-up ... the other issue related to performance when editing seems associated with iTunes having high processor usage as soon as a Get Info window is opened. Again, this started in 12.2 and continues in 12.2.1. Task Manager illustrates this:

User uploaded file

1. Get Info window opened, no further actions
  2. Get Info window closed
  3. Get Info window opened, metadata edited (very little different, so looks like its not the actual edits that are the problem)
  4. Get Info window closed

This is from a Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit machine using an Intel Core Duo E6550 @ 2.33GHz. Same symptoms observed after updating to Windows 10, and also repeatable on 64-bit machines under both Windows 7 and 8.1. The output show above was produced with nothing but iTunes (and the usual background processes) running; with other processor-intensive applications running at the same time opening the Get Info window can cause CPU usage to "flatline" at 100%, with obvious effects on performance. I've not noticed anything as sluggish as the behavior that Spike reports - just enough degradation to be annoying.

I note that there are reports of similar issues over on the iTunes for Mac forum, suggesting that this isn't a Windows-specific problem.

Aug 1, 2015 4:54 PM in response to hhgttg27

Thanks for all the replies, It was fine before the last 2 updates so they failed on that again for sure. We have similar PC btw, I don't have many playlists but Genius was turned on so I turned it off (it's more like "Dumb" than "Genius" anyway?!), maybe that will help?, it's still "Deleting Genius results" right now (it takes forever)... we'll see, Thanks again peeps. Cheers!..

Aug 13, 2015 2:02 PM in response to hhgttg27

Just downloaded the update and the alpha bug is fixed but it's still slow to add new music, I just added 2 albums, one added when on the "artist view", and it was slow, 3 to 5 mins?!, the other while on the "album view", and for some reason it's faster that way (1 to 3 mins) ?!.

One of these days iTunes will be as good as it should be but until then, this is it !..

Aug 13, 2015 2:50 PM in response to Spike Martin

How are you adding music? I find that 2-3 minutes is typical, but I assume that's due to the size of my iTunes library, the location of the iTunes library (external drive), and the fact that the way I have my system setup digital downloads from Amazon, etc. go to a second external drive. Still faster than importing from a CD 🙂.

iTunes Alpha disorder?!, Ank before Ana?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.