Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my iPod 5th generation won't charge properly??

i've had my ipod 5th gen for about 7 months now and i've had trouble with the charger cable in the past, but dismissed it as a faulty cable and bought a new lightning cable, the new cable i bought worked perfectly at first and charged my ipod just fine, but now whenever i plug it into my laptop it doesnt do a thing and even my itunes doesnt come up like i have set it up to do automatically when i plug in my ipod - there is nothing at all. so i bought an apple plug to plug my lightning wire into to see if this is any different, and when i plugged my ipod into this it seemed like my problem was solved and it charged perfectly again. then for some reason it stopped working, my ipod died so i plugged it into the wall charger and the device turned back on as if it was charging but when i looked at the screen there was no lightning sign next to my battery. so i decided to try my portable charger and this worked perfectly too and then stopped working again. every time i now plug my ipod into my laptop i receive absolutely no response, and when i plug it in anywhere else the battery goes from 20% to about 50% instantly (without the battery turning green) and then doesnt charge at all. i also figured out it isnt my lightning wire because my dad used it to charge his phone - in my laptop which doesn't do a thing at all for me - and it began charging just fine. i cleared out quite a lot of lint from my port as well to see if that was the problem and even after everything i got out of there it still wont charge, any advice????

iPod touch, iOS 8.3, ipod touch 5th generation

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 3:18 PM

2 replies

Aug 1, 2015 3:26 PM in response to daniellejaderow

Not Charge

- See:

iPod touch: Hardware troubleshooting

iPhone and iPod touch: Charging the battery

If you can’t charge your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

- Try another cable. The cable for 5G or later iPod (lightning connector) seems to be more prone to failure than the older cable. done

- If a 5G ot later iPod

Iphone 5 lightning port charging problem - SOLUTION!

- Try another charging source Did you do this?

- Inspect the dock connector on the iPod for bent or missing contacts, foreign material, corroded contacts, broken, missing or cracked plastic.

- Make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

%battery on an iPod is not accurate. You will see large fluctuations in %battery with load changes as you are observing.

I suspect either a bad/dirty Lightning port on the iPod or an other hardware problem with the iPod

my iPod 5th generation won't charge properly??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.