Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adobe flash player error popup "Install Plugin"??

How do I get rid of this popup telling me I need to update?? Used to go away after the allotted minutes for the ad to run had expired, but no longer. If I click "close ad" as they suggest, I'm immediately taken to another website!! It happens only when I'm attempting to go on MSMBC ... CNN works fine.

I have a MAC OS X 10.6.8, and am using Google Chrome browser. Thanks for any help you're able to give. p,s, When I went to the Adobe website to find out if I had the latest version, it was confirmed that I do. (Don't people have anything better to do with their time other than figure out ways to make life miserable for others!!?)

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 4:04 PM

6 replies

Aug 1, 2015 11:15 PM in response to mikasun102

You may have inadvertently installed adware. You can expect that to occur as a result of visiting lowbrow websites. You do not need to download or install anything to fix it.

For a description of how this may have occurred, how to avoid it in the future, and for Apple's recommended actions read How to install adware. Apple's instructions are linked in the Recovery Procedure near the end of that document. Read and follow them carefully. Pay particular attention to the easily overlooked passages directing you to restart your Mac when required.

Although those instructions are designed for Safari you may be able to adapt them to Google Chrome. If you are unsuccessful or unable to do so, use Safari and determine whether the popups subside.

Review your Gatekeeper settings: OS X : About Gatekeeper - Apple Support. Gatekeeper is designed to help prevent you from inadvertently installing garbage software.

Aug 3, 2015 12:18 PM in response to John Galt

Thanks John for your reply. I'm uncomfortable trying to fix this myself, so will just probably wait until I get any more problems and call in my computer tech guy. I have a question though ... if the adware is installed on my computer, why do the popups only occur when I'm trying to get on MSNBC ... I don't get this popup when I go on CNN.

Aug 3, 2015 12:47 PM in response to mikasun102

Please don't call in just any computer help guy, when you can call Apple who will fix anything that's wrong for an out of warranty cost of $29 US. Many generic "computer techs" treat Macs the same way do PCs, assume they can be afflicted with the same problems, and that usually leads to misery.

Apple's instructions can seem daunting but they really are not. They are lengthy, but designed for anyone to follow without the need to use any third party, proprietary, or copyrighted material. Follow them with care, and there is anything at all unclear about them, just ask.

why do the popups only occur when I'm trying to get on MSNBC ...

I have no idea. I wouldn't allow that site to load on anything I cared about. Adware can affect different sites and different browsers in different ways. Consider using Safari or Firefox instead of Chrome, and determine if you can find any differences between them. I wouldn't trust Chrome either – Google products are specifically developed to exploit you for their benefit, not yours.

Aug 4, 2015 10:35 AM in response to John Galt

Thanks .. .. I was surprised to hear of the relatively low cost for repair offered by Apple. However, I'm assuming this does not apply to a "house call" repair, and that I'd have to take my computer to them. Since I do not drive, it's more convenient to me to have my tech guy come out, who, thankfully, is someone I can trust not to overcharge me, and whose services I have been satisfied with thus far. I'll keep Apple in mind if I ever start driving again.

Adobe flash player error popup "Install Plugin"??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.