Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4s Model MCxxxx IOS different from Model MDxxxx?

I am assisting a friend with his iPhone 4S Model MCxxxxx series phone. He has a IOS 7.xxxx version and the phone tepirts that this is the latest IOS. I have a iPhone 4s Model MDxxxx series and am able to upgrade to IOS 8.xxxx version. Is this a model limitation? Is it pissible for to upgrade the firmware in the MC model to that available on MDxxxxx model? My friend is unsble to access the bavigation features of latest Apple maps as he us running IOS 7.xxx version not IOS 8.xxxx version. Can anyone assist please? Many thanks Brett

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 4:58 PM

5 replies

Aug 1, 2015 5:05 PM in response to brobson13

It's a model limitation. Your phone is 4thGen and supports iOS 8, while your friend's phone is a thirdGen that does not. It is an iPhone 4, not 4s.

See the chart below to determine whether you can upgrade your device and what you can upgrade to. If you do not have a Software Update option present on your iDevice, then you are trying to upgrade to iOS 5 or higher. You will have to connect your device to your computer and open iTunes in order to upgrade.

IPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad iOS Compatibility Chart

Device iOS Verson

iPhone 1 iOS 3.1.3

iPhone 3G iOS 4.2.1

iPhone 3GS iOS 6.1.x

iPhone 4 iOS 7.1.x

iPhone 4S iOS 8.x.x

iPhone 5 iOS 8.x.x

iPhone 5c iOS 8.x.x

iPhone 5s iOS 8.x.x

-------------------------------------------------------

iPod Touch 1 iOS 3.1.3

iPod Touch 2 iOS 4.2.1

iPod Touch 3 iOS 5.1.1

iPod Touch 4 iOS 6.1.x

iPod Touch 5 iOS 8.x.x

-------------------------------------------------------

iPad 1 iOS 5.1.1

iPad 2 iOS 8.x.x

iPad 3 iOS 8.x.x

iPad 4 iOS 8.x.x

iPad Mini & Mini Retina iOS 8.x.x

iPad Air iOS 8.x.x

=====================================

iPhone 4s Model MCxxxx IOS different from Model MDxxxx?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.