Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my Airport Extreme not respond to resets (tried all of them), status light will not turn on at all

Why does my Airport Extreme not respond to any resets, status light won't even come on? Can the reset button be faulty or could the router be fried?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 6:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 8:03 PM

Can you look on the bottom of the AirPort Extreme to locate the model number? it is usually embedded in the foam base on most models. The model number starts with an "A" followed by four numbers.

I assume that you have tried different AC wall sockets to rule out the possibility of a switched outlet or something like that, correct?

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2015 8:03 PM in response to Michellelovescats

Can you look on the bottom of the AirPort Extreme to locate the model number? it is usually embedded in the foam base on most models. The model number starts with an "A" followed by four numbers.

I assume that you have tried different AC wall sockets to rule out the possibility of a switched outlet or something like that, correct?

Aug 2, 2015 12:48 PM in response to Michellelovescats

It might be worth the $20 gamble to try a new outboard power supply for the AirPort Extreme. Definitely worth a try if the seller will provide a money back return privilege if the power supply does not do the trick.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-OEM-APPLE-AIRPORT-EXTREME-BASE-STATION-POWER-SU PPLY-AC-ADAPTER-A1202-/370810566512

If you have an Apple Store near you, take the AirPort Extreme in to them to let them have a look.

Aug 2, 2015 12:50 PM in response to Michellelovescats

Oh, and yes, I've tried multiple AC wall outlets and no status light. Made sure the breaker switch didn't flip off. The only other thing I can tell you is that the power went out the night before (router was working perfectly before that), we do use a surge protector strip. The power goes out quite often here- at least twice a month. I usually just unplug and replug in and everything works. I'm wondering if the surge protector isn't working properly now. I have replaced it with a new one. The power on the old one works fine for other devices plugged into it.

Aug 2, 2015 1:08 PM in response to Michellelovescats

The outboard power supply for an A1408 AirPort Extreme....some folks call this type of power supply a "brick".....looks like the device in the link above...and below again...that I provided.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-OEM-APPLE-AIRPORT-EXTREME-BASE-STATION-POWER-SU PPLY-AC-ADAPTER-A1202-/370810566512

It's possible that the Apple Store might have one of these on hand for sale, but it's also likely that it will cost twice as much as the replacement that you can order. If the AirPort Extreme works when the Apple Store tests with another power supply, that at least let's you know where the issue is.

If the test with another power supply does not work, there is not really much that you can do. If you happen to have AppleCare in effect on one of your Macs......AND.....the AirPort Extreme is less than 3 years old, Apple will arrange for you to receive a replacement at no charge.

Why does my Airport Extreme not respond to resets (tried all of them), status light will not turn on at all

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.