Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Guest Cannot Connect to WiFi

My home WiFi set up includes a AirPort Time Capsule 5th generation (802.11ac). I set it up in a vanilla way, and all my devices (MacBook Pro, iPhone, iPad) seem to connect fine on both frequencies.

But I cannot get the Guest Network to become accessible.

I have tried to set it up with no password and with WPA 2 Personal password.

Nothing works. Neither I nor my guests can sign in to the Guest Network whether it is set up with a password or not. The spinning wheel just spins.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I am running Mac OS X 10.4.4.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 4:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 4:35 PM

The Guest network feature requires that the AirPort Time Capsule connects to a simple modem.....something like the example below:

User uploaded file

The Guest network will not work correctly if your "modem" is a modem/router, also often called a gateway. This type of device is both a modem and router in the same package.....and the Guest network will not work correctly with this type of device. An example of a modem/router or gateway would look like this:

User uploaded file

So,the first troubleshooting step here would be to check and make sure that you have the correct type of "modem" to allow the Guest Network feature to operate correctly.

If you are unsure of what type of "modem" that you have, please post back with the make and model number of your device, and we'll run a check on it.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2015 4:35 PM in response to Canyonlight

The Guest network feature requires that the AirPort Time Capsule connects to a simple modem.....something like the example below:

User uploaded file

The Guest network will not work correctly if your "modem" is a modem/router, also often called a gateway. This type of device is both a modem and router in the same package.....and the Guest network will not work correctly with this type of device. An example of a modem/router or gateway would look like this:

User uploaded file

So,the first troubleshooting step here would be to check and make sure that you have the correct type of "modem" to allow the Guest Network feature to operate correctly.

If you are unsure of what type of "modem" that you have, please post back with the make and model number of your device, and we'll run a check on it.

Aug 2, 2015 1:00 AM in response to Canyonlight

Hughes HN9000 modem

Satellite setups are always a lot more painful. It is not the modem that is the issue but the satellite ISP use private IP addresses.

This means you can run into all kinds of troubles.

Please post the screenshot showing the summary page from the computer you use for setup..

This one.

User uploaded file

From this we can work out what is happening.

Aug 2, 2015 6:36 AM in response to Canyonlight

The AirPort Time Capsule is connected via ethernet cable to a Hughes HN9000 modem

Please get in touch with the support folks at Hughes to verify if they can provide you with a Public IP address. It is possible, but unlikely that they will be able to do this.

That is not going to be a guarantee that the Guest Network will function correctly, but it is one of the requirements for the Guest Network function.

Realistically, you might want to start thinking about the fact that a satellite hook up just may not be able to provide the type of service that you will need for advanced functions like the Guest Network on the Apple routers.

Guest Cannot Connect to WiFi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.