Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos App on iPhone 4 iOS 7.1.2 not showing search looking glass

I'm not sure this is the right place to ask the question, however, just curious why I can't find the looking glass or search on my wife Photos app,, like I have the capability on my own iPhone 6 plus. She has iOS 7.12 , and the Photos app and also we have the latest iTunes on her MacAir 13 in 2011 latest Mac OS Yosemite

I'm just curious whether other people with iPhone 4 , and same IOS, could see that search function. As I said, I have the Search looking glass in the Photos App on my iPhone 6 plus, and was wondering why I wouldn't be able to have the same search function, albeit on an older phone, seeing as the Photos app was updated on her phone when the recent 10.10,4 Yosemite came out.

For her, the search function is invaluable, because she has difficulty with the Photos app itself, compared to the old iPhoto, and her navigation of the new Photos app is very poor (seems like she isn't the only one with this comment).

Thanks for helping me solve this mystery. I suspect that the age of phone, and older IOS software (which can't upgrade to iOS 8)might be the problem, however, with most of the other elements up to date, I thought there might be a chance I was overlooking something else. Thanks

iPhone 4, iOS 7.1.2, null

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 4:43 PM

2 replies

Aug 2, 2015 1:15 AM in response to Stoker

The user guide for iOS7 does not mention a search function in Photos, and the looking glass does not show in the screenshots:

See: https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1681/en_US/iphone_ios7_user_guide. pdf

No looking glass icon in the screenshots in the iOS7 manual 😟

User uploaded file

If I remember correctly, the search function in Photos has been introduced with iOS8, after iPhoto iOS was no longer supported. With iOS 7 your wife could still be running the much better iPhoto iOS, if she ever bought it.

Aug 2, 2015 6:07 AM in response to léonie

Thank you for the answer on that one. I will have to see now, whether I can roll back now to iOS 7,, but I don't think , even if that is possible, I will be able to get iPhoto on her Mac back, because, that last update on iPhoto to help the whole iPhoto to Photo wasn't done, and by updating the OS without having done that, the OS nulled or deleted her iPhoto automatically, therefore she got stuck with Photos on both her Mac and her iPhone 4

Photos App on iPhone 4 iOS 7.1.2 not showing search looking glass

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.