Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

podcasts on two devices sync to each other?

I've been using (and hating) iTunes forever.

I just cannot find a suitable way to use it to sync my podcasts to two devices properly.

I tried deleting all of a certain podcast subscription on on device, only to listen to on the other - lo and behold they get erased on the first one.

So I go through all the podcasts on one and mark as played all that I've played - no effect whatsoever on the second one.

About the only thing I can think of at this point is to use some other podcast apps - different on each device, I guess.

Any thoughts or strategies for using 2 devices before I make a switch?

Thanks,

Tom

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 5:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 6:07 PM

The Podcasts app is not trouble free here, but it does sync contents and play status across two devices and my Mac. Play status change is reflected relatively quickly across all devices. The setting to delete played episodes usually takes effect after two days, however, even though it's supposed to take effect after 24 hours.

You stated that when you delete episodes on one device,they are deleted on your other devices. This means the podcasts do sync. What exactly is not working for you?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2015 6:07 PM in response to Thomas O'Connell

The Podcasts app is not trouble free here, but it does sync contents and play status across two devices and my Mac. Play status change is reflected relatively quickly across all devices. The setting to delete played episodes usually takes effect after two days, however, even though it's supposed to take effect after 24 hours.

You stated that when you delete episodes on one device,they are deleted on your other devices. This means the podcasts do sync. What exactly is not working for you?

Aug 1, 2015 6:29 PM in response to Rysz

Rysz-

Thanks for the reply.

I cannot seem to get the sync results consistently. So last week I just got disgusted and deleted half the subscriptions on each device - exactly, then it did sync and I wound up with just about everything deleted from both devices. Maddening! (I did this deleting on the devices themselves - probably the biggest booboo).

I've tried before that to just uncheck stuff from one device and some from the other (from iTunes) and it never seemed to work. Within a couple of weeks, they stuff I'd uncheck from on device would start appearing again, confusing the daylights out of me. This would actually be the best setup for me since I leave one old iPhone in my car (no cell service on that one) just to be used as an iPod. My primary iPhone is in my pocket and I listen to podcasts while walking or working. Both are set to download automatically (but the car one only gets near wifi about once a week).

Should this work? The way I have set it up?

If that isn't the best way to set it all up, how do I sync to make the "odd" device realize that stuff was listened to on the other? Should I use wired syncing to iTunes? Will it "just work" eventually if I leave them downloading as they see fit? (or by my settings of once a week etc?)

thanks again,

Tom

Aug 1, 2015 6:45 PM in response to Thomas O'Connell

... since I leave one old iPhone in my car (no cell service on that one) just to be used as an iPod. My primary iPhone is in my pocket and I listen to podcasts while walking or working. Both are set to download automatically (but the car one only gets near wifi about once a week).

iDevices do not "talk" to each other directly. They can sync only via iCloud or iTunes. If one of them is not connected to cellular nor Wi- Fi, it is cut off from the rest of the world and has no ability to sync to anything.

As you already found out, you can't delete from one device without also deleting from the other one (when synced). That's just the way it works. Accept the fact that all podcasts need to be on both devices. I would suggest listening to some podcasts on one device, some on the second device. This way you don't have to keep track of which ones you already heard.

You can also just bring the car device more often to your Wi-Fi or iTunes...

podcasts on two devices sync to each other?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.