Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File structure question

I understand iPhoto stores the images by date. When I look into the original files I find that under the year 2015, under the month of April, under the date of the 30th that there are images dated 11/5 through 4/15.

What's up with that?

Thanks.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), 10.10.4 operating system

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 6:35 PM

7 replies

Aug 1, 2015 6:56 PM in response to Schnapps

Whats up with that - you are messing in a place you do not understand and should not be - there is no reason to be there and it is not designed for human access - it is only a part of the iphoto library and is only for use by the iphoto application

Do not MUCK around inside the iphoto library - there is no reason to and it is very dangerous

LN

Aug 1, 2015 9:49 PM in response to LarryHN

Thanks for the warnings - I know it's a mine field. But ... I'm going to switch to Lightroom and I've been researching how to do it. (I've been successful!).

SO back to the question - why are there images in a year/month/day folder other than that particular time period? IPhoto is supposed to store images by capture date and I'm finding mixed dates in some of the folders.

THanks again.

Aug 1, 2015 9:54 PM in response to Schnapps

Again there are no user serviceable parts in the iphoto library and there is no defined way iPhoto is "suppose" to store photos in the database

To move to Lightroom launch iPhoto and select all photos and export the originals using the subfolder option to recreate you event structure - import those into LR

And your post leaves the question hanging since you have been successful in switching to LR from iPhoto why are you mucking around inside the iPhoto library - you are done

LN

Aug 1, 2015 10:09 PM in response to LarryHN

i Have the "iPhoto '11 the missing manual" book and that's where I read that iPhoto " meticulously arranges your photos within these numbered folders according to the creation dates of the originals" pg. 30. Guess not. Still, it would seem that a folder with the name 20150430 would have images from April 30, 2015? At this point, I'm baffled by the name that iPhoto assigns if the images are from different dates. Anyhow, I've been able to move stuff into Lightroom with losing any of the links between the thumbnails and the originals so that's good. Thanks for helping out.

File structure question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.