Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imessage/facetime problem

I have attempted to use both Genius Bar and Apple Technical Support by phone with zero results so far.

About 3 weeks ago I bought my 2 daughters 5th generation Ipod Touch's. I created a new Apple ID (as children accounts since they are both under 13) and everything worked perfectly. They were able to message and facetime their grandmother with no issues. The next week the 6th generation Touch came out so I backed up their devices and exchanged them at the Apple store for the 6th gen. Took them home, restored, and have not been able to use iMessage or Facetime on either device. When trying to launch either application (or going in to the settings for either application) there is only a userid/password form that never works with their apple IDs (just spins for a few seconds but doesn't show any error but doesn't go any farther). All other aspects of Icloud using the same IDs works fine (photo sharing, etc). If I try to sign in to iMessage or Facetime on my Iphone with either of their accounts I get the same behavior. However, I can sign in to iMessage/Facetime on their Touch with my apple ID with no issues so it can't be a device issue but instead is some type of account issue. I have even tried:

- restoring the Touch's as new and still same behavior

- building a brand new apple ID child account (same behavior for new account)

- building a brand new apple ID regular account (modified birthday so > 13 years old) - same behavior with new account.

Apple Tech support (both at Genius Bar or phone) has not come up with anything yet which is starting to become very frustrating!

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 4:48 PM

2 replies

Aug 10, 2015 8:41 AM in response to VikingBlood

FYI, I had the same problem, went crazy trying to figure out a solution, and this is what I ended up doing...

Not suitable for everyone, but faster than contacting support (which requires apple care, at least in my country) as it seems to have been the only solution for a few people...

Problem: trying to setup imessage and Facetime on an iPad 4, for my mother, who used to have an old iPad 1 (which doesn't support Facetime):

1) changed the email address associated with her account to an unused email of mine, and then verifying it.

2) Created a new account with the "old" email address, verifying it again.

3) Login in iPad, imessage and Facetime fully working

Obviously, this was an option as the original account didn't have any purchases that were necessary to keep...

Ridiculous, but all working now.

Just to be clear:

I was also getting the wheel spinning when trying to login to imessage and Facetime. No errors would be displayed.

Used every recommendation that is mentioned in the forums: date/time set automatically, reset networks setting, reset whole iPad, 8.8.8.8 DNS...

My mum's account was verified, and worked perfectly in iCloud, app store, etc...

To further prove that the problem was with the account and not the device:

- Using my account in the iPad that gave her trouble, worked perfectly

- Using my mums account in my iPad would not

Hope this helps some people! Good luck!

imessage/facetime problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.