Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel panics

Hello. I have been suffering from regular kernel panics since upgrading to Yosemite. Here are the logs of 8 of them. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks so much! 🙂

Log 1

Log 2

Log 3

Log 4

Log 5

Log 6

Log 7

Log 8

Cheers!

Greg

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), 8GB RAM, 960GB SSD

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 8:25 PM

20 replies

Aug 2, 2015 4:56 AM in response to Greg Andresen

This reminds me of kernel panics I had on my Mac Pro 2008 a few years ago. I went through great lengths to find out what it was. I sometimes had them once a week, then three in one day.

I had tried everything, resetting, PRAM, even hardware tests with the DVD that came with it, reseating SDRAM, changing the modules, etc.

I was so fed up with it, I was at the verge of recycling it. Finally, there was one thing I had not tried. I didn't have much confidence that it would help but I wanted to do it, so I would have peace of mind that I had tried everything: A complete re-installation, after re-initialising the disk. This fixed it! Still using it today.

BTW

I also use Little Snitch and it has never given me problems.

Aug 2, 2015 6:42 AM in response to Leon Buijs

Thanks Leon.

Tell me, when you did your complete re-installation, after re-initialising the disk, did you use Apple's migration assistant to restore your data or did you do a manual restore to avoid any bugs/conflicts?

The ironic thing is that when I upgraded my laptop to Yosemite I wanted to make sure everything ran smoothly so I did a clean install and manually restored my data from scratch instead of using Migration Assistant. I manually reinstalled all my Apps, etc. Now it's the machine that's getting kernel panics. My other 2 Macs that I was "lazy" with and did "in-place" upgrades are running Yosemite just fine without a single kernel panic!

Cheers,

Greg

Aug 2, 2015 6:46 AM in response to Greg Andresen

Greg Andresen wrote:

Oh, and I use Little Snitch happily on my other Macs that aren't having kernel panics

My first inclination is that it is a hardware problem, but you can't really tell unless all kernel extensions are ruled out. LS seemed to be the only one consistently loading.

When you've ruled out third-party kernel extensions and bad RAM, you can try NVRAM reset and erasing and reinstalling as Leon suggested.

Aug 2, 2015 7:40 AM in response to Greg Andresen

It might be the RAM, like Barney says, I remember reading about dozens of cases that boiled down to RAM and other hardware problems. I once had a PowerTower Pro that complete froze (again and again) because of a ISDN router that had a bad firmware update.

About my Mac Pro kernel panics: It was about 5 years ago and exactly because I tend to forget the specific details, I sometimes write an article about it: http://beeldbuijs.nl/how-to/mac-pro-problems-solved-by-lion/

I had all kinds of weird problems, from the keyboard that would sometimes stop reacting to kernel panics to the Mac Pro waking up by itself in the middle of the night. However, those things usually happend only once in a few days, making it impossible to tackle. At one point I thought it was de RAM, at another the keyboard, but replacing them didn't solve it.

Finally, I did a clean install and didn't use migration assistent out of fear of restoring the bug as well.

I used a fresh installation of 10.7 Lion on a FireWire external hard drive, so I could try it out without messing up my daily system, that was still 10.6 / Snow Leopard. That fixed it, so I then installed Lion on my internal HD. I have only experienced this type of problem once since working with Macs since 1995.

Aug 2, 2015 2:20 PM in response to Greg Andresen

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider. You may have to leave the machine there for several days.

Print the first page of the latest panic report and bring it with you.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

Aug 2, 2015 2:42 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks Linc.

Incidentally, I have also been experiencing strange random graphics artefacts for the same period. See video here.

I took the machine to the Genius Bar about these artefacts (I didn't mention the kernel panics) and was told to try doing an erase and clean install to see if this fixed the problem.

I haven't yet had time to do this.

Both the panics and these artefacts seem like they would be hardware-, not software-related. However, the Machine ran absolutely fine without any problems on 10.8.5 prior to the Yosemite upgrade. I did change the SSD at the same time as the upgrade to Yosemite, so that could be another factor.

Cheers.

Aug 2, 2015 2:51 PM in response to Greg Andresen

I took the machine to the Genius Bar about these artefacts (I didn't mention the kernel panics) and was told to try doing an erase and clean install to see if this fixed the problem.

That's their solution for almost any problem. Seldom does it do any good.

I did change the SSD at the same time as the upgrade to Yosemite, so that could be another factor.

Likely.

Aug 14, 2015 1:19 AM in response to Linc Davis

I did a bit more troubleshooting.

I took another MacBook Pro and swapped hard drives with my troublesome one.

i.e. I took the 1TB SSD out of my troublesome MacBook Pro and installed it in the 2nd MacBook Pro. I took the regular HD out of the 2nd MacBook Pro and installed it in my troublesome MacBook Pro. The regular HD had a clean installation of Yosemite on it.

I tested both machines for 10 days or so. Neither exhibited either the graphics artefacts or the kernel panics!

When I swapped the drives back again, immediately my troublesome MacBook Pro started exhibiting graphics artefacts again.

Can anyone make any sense of this?

If the SSD was problematic (either hardware or software), I would have thought it would have played up inside the 2nd MacBook Pro.

If my troublesome MacBook Pro had a hardware issue, I would have thought it would have played up even with the standard HD installed.

Cheers

Aug 14, 2015 3:32 AM in response to Greg Andresen

I have the same issues here and 10.10.5 didn't solve it. Random kernel panics, followed by restarts. Even in sleep-mode! Graphical artefacts and flashing blocks on the screen. Hanging launchdemons (e.g. systemUIserver, softwareupdated), especially from Apple itself! When in safe-mode the problems get even worse: Flashing login-screen, 'washed-out' (over bright) windows, beachballs, etc., etc.. That really confused me! Back to mavericks and NONE of these problems! AND no wifi-problems anymore. I've tested yosemity on all of my 3 macs.

There are many people reporting these issue(s) and (understandably) think it's hardware-related. So these topics are posted in the hardware-forums, not in the yosemity-forums.

Be very careful indeed about regarding your problems as hardware-related.

Kernel panics

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.