Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I tell what is Apple Music songs versus Owned Songs

Hello!

Is there a way to tell what is an Apple Music song versus a purchased/owned song?

I use both an iPhone and iPod to listen to music. I have "downloaded" songs from Apple Music to listen off-line. I'm also a big Smart Playlist user. The songs I have downloaded from Apple Music for off-line listening will not be transferred to my iPod (current Nano). So the playlist to my iPhone is "complete" while the iPod is "incomplete". Is there a way in iTunes for me to list, or separate, what is Apple Music and what is purchased/ripped music?

Thanks.

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 8:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 8:35 PM

In iTunes, go to Music, My Music and sort by Songs (far top right). Right click the header information for the list of songs. Select iCloud Status so it is checked. This will tell you which songs are Purchased, Apple Music, or yours. I can't say exactly what yours will say if it is from a CD because I have Apple Match. Mine tells me songs are Uploaded or Matched which means I provided those songs.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2015 8:35 PM in response to thefilebunch

In iTunes, go to Music, My Music and sort by Songs (far top right). Right click the header information for the list of songs. Select iCloud Status so it is checked. This will tell you which songs are Purchased, Apple Music, or yours. I can't say exactly what yours will say if it is from a CD because I have Apple Match. Mine tells me songs are Uploaded or Matched which means I provided those songs.

Aug 1, 2015 8:35 PM in response to thefilebunch

Hi!

Unfortunately iTunes currently merges all your music and Apple's Music seamlessly. I myself have an iPhone and iPod as well and tried to sync Apple Music to the iPod. But apple prevents that from happening. So as far as being able to tell the difference I have not been able to find any way to do that. I've tried on iTunes on my laptop and music on my iPhone. Apple has designed the songs to look exactly the same! There is one way you can see the difference if you really need to. There is a setting under music which allows you to disable the viewing of apple music. So you can see what you actually own and what you've downloaded. BUT there is no way currently (that i know of) to actually distinguish the two at the same time without disabling one or the other! Sorry that i couldn't help more! But i hope this helps some!!

Aug 2, 2015 12:39 AM in response to thefilebunch

Hi,

You can add iCloud status in song view on your computers iTunes library. This will tell you what is Apple music, matched, uploaded, purchased, duplicate or ineligible. You can make smart playlists based on criteria using iCloud status.

You will see them on your iOS devices but the one that is based on Apple music will not appear on iPod nanos or classics because of DRM.

Jim

How can I tell what is Apple Music songs versus Owned Songs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.