Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happens to the application data when a device is switched between Apple IDs

We have multiple devices on a single Apple ID. I want to set up Family sharing but I don't want to lose the application data, photos and settings on the device I'm changing Apple IDs on. Can someone help me understand what happens when a device is changed to a new Apple ID and iCloud ID?

thanks in advance for your help.

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 8:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 9:08 PM

Changing the Apple/iCloud ID will not change anything on the device except iCloud-based data. By that, I mean the data you would see if you signed the iCoud ID onto iCloud.com on a computer. Notes, Contacts, Messages, Mail, etc. You can also see what iCloud-based data you have set up for a particular ID on a particular device by going to Settings>iCloud to see which items are turned on.

With the exception of Contacts, which will allow you to keep whatever is on the device and Merge it to the new iCloud account, any other iCoud-based info will go away.

Not sure what you specifically mean by application data. If you literally mean data that is associated with a particular app (like game data), then that would go away also.

With Family Sharing, however, you will be able to use the info from the original Apple/iCloud ID to set up "Family" Photos, a "Family" Calendar, etc. so would be able to retain that info via the shared methodology.

Cheers,

GB

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2015 9:08 PM in response to Glenn 78

Changing the Apple/iCloud ID will not change anything on the device except iCloud-based data. By that, I mean the data you would see if you signed the iCoud ID onto iCloud.com on a computer. Notes, Contacts, Messages, Mail, etc. You can also see what iCloud-based data you have set up for a particular ID on a particular device by going to Settings>iCloud to see which items are turned on.

With the exception of Contacts, which will allow you to keep whatever is on the device and Merge it to the new iCloud account, any other iCoud-based info will go away.

Not sure what you specifically mean by application data. If you literally mean data that is associated with a particular app (like game data), then that would go away also.

With Family Sharing, however, you will be able to use the info from the original Apple/iCloud ID to set up "Family" Photos, a "Family" Calendar, etc. so would be able to retain that info via the shared methodology.

Cheers,

GB

Aug 1, 2015 9:31 PM in response to gail from maine

Thanks Gail from Maine,

That explination is very helpful. Your assumption is correct. I was referring to the data associated with apps/games. Losing that data is a problem.

Basically, anyone that has used a single Apple ID for multiple people will lose an progress made in games on the switch.

Thinking about a work around, I wonder if I can turn off iCloud on a device I want to move, change the ID and share the apps through Family Sharing, and then backup to the new iCloud Account.

What happens to the application data when a device is switched between Apple IDs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.