Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 6 gps mapping voice issues and incoming text when conntected via bluetooth

So I'm new to the iphone group. I just switched from Windows Phone to the iPhone 6 and am having issues in two areas, both related to Bluetooth. First - using mapping software for gps works fine, but when connected to my car stereo via Bluetooth, the mapping software wont announce the upcoming turns. I have tried this with both the Apple maps and Nokia Here/Drive app. Second problem I am having (maybe it's just a limitation issue) is that with my Windows Phone, Cortana would read incoming text to me and allow me to respond hands-free. The iphone wont do this...is this a settings issue that I am not aware of or is this not a possibility right now? Thanks in advance....

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4, null

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 7:52 PM

3 replies

Aug 1, 2015 8:03 PM in response to abelfromaz

Have you tried Google Maps? It does announce turns over bluetooth last time I checked.

Other maps audible alerts may not work if the ringer is set on silent...

I don't recommend any interaction with the phone while driving... so I don't think the iPhone doesn't have any read-out SMS options, sorry.

You'd have to manually activate siri to dictate messages on the go.

Aug 1, 2015 8:22 PM in response to abelfromaz

The iPhone 6 can do what you want.

For Apple Maps, to get turn by turn directions after searching for an address (Siri can help here, ask her for map to xyz sometown, state) press the start message at the bottom center of the map. If you hit the other option you just get text step by step directions (no map). This plays Siri over bluetooth in my wife's car but some cars may not support it. I use google maps and it works as well.

For Siri, you have to press and hold the home key and tell Siri what to do like "Read Messages" or Read Messages from NAME" or "Text NAME" To make getting to Siri easier when driving, enable Hey Siri Settings > General > Siri > Allow "Hey Siri" on (green). Then when you need help you say "Hey Siri" to activate her instead of having to press and hold the Home Button. With Google you can do the same thing with OK Google but I've never seen if that will work on iPhone. Certainly you'd have to have the Google app open first.

Aug 1, 2015 8:56 PM in response to chattphotos

Thanks for the quick responses...

chattphotos: to be honest, outside of youtube, I try to avoid google products/services as a consumer. but I will give it a try to see if it works. and I can confirm that my ringer was not on silent as I was receiving incoming phone calls via Bluetooth. so this tells me the Bluetooth connection was good, just not working.

UGADog: I can confirm that i was on the turn by turn gps and not the mapping alone. I will also try the "read messages" to see how that works the next time I receive one. I also have "hey siri" activated, unfortunately, it wont work when my phone is connected to my car stereo via Bluetooth.

iphone 6 gps mapping voice issues and incoming text when conntected via bluetooth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.