Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get my ringtones off my iPad back to itunes

i attempted to back up my library to an external hdd. Now my iTunes is messed up, I have stuff missing and incorrect. My 80gb iPod has everything on it and my iPad has most, including my ringtones which are now gone. How can I fix it all on a new pc?

iPad Air, iOS 8.4

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 8:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 8:24 PM

If you just bought a new PC and downloaded iTunes on it, then once you sign into your apple ID on iTunes it should provide you with iCloud downloads so you can get all your ringtones and music that you purchased from Apple. If they don't show up then you can go to "Account" and select "Check for Available Downloads". That should let you download all your ringtones/music that you purchased. If however you have music that was not bought from iTunes then you will have to move it into your iTunes library manually. Also once you sync your 80 GB iPod to a new iTunes library then iTunes will erase everything on it in order to sync it to your new library. Hope this helps!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2015 8:24 PM in response to Dumbellboy

If you just bought a new PC and downloaded iTunes on it, then once you sign into your apple ID on iTunes it should provide you with iCloud downloads so you can get all your ringtones and music that you purchased from Apple. If they don't show up then you can go to "Account" and select "Check for Available Downloads". That should let you download all your ringtones/music that you purchased. If however you have music that was not bought from iTunes then you will have to move it into your iTunes library manually. Also once you sync your 80 GB iPod to a new iTunes library then iTunes will erase everything on it in order to sync it to your new library. Hope this helps!

Aug 1, 2015 8:34 PM in response to RaptorX27

TThanks for the quick reply Raptor.

the problem is most of my music is from CDs. Most of my ringtones I made from MP3. While backing up my collection I must have messed with stuff I should not have. Somehow my tones aren't on the back up. And not iTunes on my pc. Just to ruin my life more, my pc is currently locked in some "start up mode".

so is there anyway to get stuff off my ipod and iPad back onto iTunes on a new pc so I can use them on my iPhone? All this started when I put iTunes on an external hdd an deleted it off my pc.

thanks

Aug 2, 2015 2:54 PM in response to Dumbellboy

I see. Well currently I see two solutions to this problem. The easiest one that i see is connecting your ext HDD to your new laptop and rerouting iTunes' files. What I mean by that is in iTunes it allows for you to select the location of your files. What you do is at the top right select "Edit" and then select preferences. It will then pull up a window. On this window you will see several options and at top right select the "advanced" tab. Under that tab you will see the folder that iTunes looks for your files. You see, basically on a PC iTunes is simply a program that displays your music from a folder. You have to show iTunes where that folder is or in your case an Ext. HDD. Once you do that iTunes will be able to locate the files and you'll be able to sync them to iPod/iPhone or whatever you want.

The other possible solution which is the one that you're looking for which is taking the ringtones off of your iPad/iPod. I personally don't know how to get the files off of your iPad unless you upload them to a cloud storage such as google drive or dropbox. I do know that if you have alot of files then this will take a considerable amount of time. So the other option is using Apples new iCloud Music library. Which once you enable on all of your devices then it will allow you to access other libraries! Even songs that are not on iTunes you'll be able to access and play from a different computer. In order to make sure this works you will need the computer to be authorized and of course updated to the latest iTunes. So maybe this will help you! If you have any more questions then please ask and I'll do my best to help you out!

How do I get my ringtones off my iPad back to itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.