Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I suddenly have an extra "Macintosh HD" that is 121 GB??

Suddenly (in the last few weeks it appeared) I have a duplicate HD called "Macintosh HD" it is causing a conflict with my Time Machine - I can unmount it, and it goes away until I reboot. It has a "Karl" home folder, but no files, but it does have all the applications that come with a new Mac.

I recently had a hard drive crash and restored from a Time Macine backup and wonder if that somehow created this. It says in the details (see attached image) that it is a 121 GB Flash Drive, but I only have ONE hard drive, and it is 3 TB... so it is kinda freaking me out having this mysterious hard drive appear... have I been hacked? Did someone install another hard drive in my iMac over night? LOL I can't think of any solution, hence, this post!

Here is a screen shot of the drive with Disk Utility open....

User uploaded file

THANK YOU for your help! Much appreciated. I'd like this extra drive to go away, of if it is legit, hide it or something.

Look forward to input from the Geniuses here!

- Karl

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 9:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 10:00 PM

You likely had a 3TB Fusion drive which is a combo 121GB SSD and 3TB HD that are fused together by software to make one drive and a have much higher performance than a normal HD. Who ever re-installed a new HD did not fuse the SSD and HD back together.

8 replies

Aug 1, 2015 10:46 PM in response to rkaufmann87

You can fix this yourself. You apparently have a backup, so if you use the procedure outlined below, you can restore your data and apps using Migration assistant. You must use migration assistant.

Note: When in terminal use command c to copy and command v to paste.

Note: The UUID string to select is the top one.User uploaded file

I hope all goes well and this should speed up your machine as a bonus!

Good Luck: Tom

I suddenly have an extra "Macintosh HD" that is 121 GB??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.