Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost all my photos after pressing "restore backup"

So i upgraded my iphone 5 to iphone 6. At that time i was on vacation so i didnt have access to my computer, where my itunes data was. Instead i used airdrop to copy the photos from my iphone 5 to 6 and downloaded every app again. Once i came home from vacation, I plugged my phone into my computer and it asked me a question about wanting to restore the data from my old phone into this new phone and i clicked yes. It synced everything but my photos. I didn't have my photos in iCloud but i did have it in my old iPhone 5, along with my iPhone 6 before i "restored backup". Can anybody help me find a solution to my problem? or do i have to start all over? Thanks for your time and support

iPhone 6, null

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 9:37 PM

2 replies

Aug 1, 2015 9:42 PM in response to tyv--

You could create a backup of the iPhone 5 if you still have it and restore the iPhone 6 to the iPhone 5. However, if you have more photos on the iPhone 6, you need to import them to the computer first to save them. The restore backup as you did restores the device to the way it was on the data and time that the backup was created. Since those pictures were not there at that time, they wouldn't be restored. If you import photos from the phone, the only way to get them back on the new device is to sync via iTunes.

Aug 1, 2015 9:48 PM in response to tyv--

The sequence of events is a bit hard to follow. Here's what I think you're saying:

• At home, a long time ago (before vacation), you backed up your iPhone 5 to iTunes.
  • You went on vacation.
  • You took some vacation photos using your iPhone 5.
  • You purchased an iPhone 6.
  • You continued to take vacation photos using your iPhone 5.
  • You used AirDrop to transfer all photos (apps, etc.) from your iPhone 5 to iPhone 6.
  • You never took any vacation photos on the iPhone 6.
  • You arrived home.
  • You restored an old iPhone 5 backup (made before vacation started) to the iPhone 6.
  • You were surprised to see the loss of photos, and therefore posted this question.

A restore erases the iPhone, and replaces it with the contents of the backup being restored. So yes, this would have erased your photos.

If the iPhone 5 still contains the photos, you can back up the iPhone 5 using iTunes, then restore that backup to the iPhone 6 and resolve the issue. Of course, this assumes I understood your timeline correctly.

Lost all my photos after pressing "restore backup"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.