Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New admin and password

I was going to sell my MacBook Air and deleted all the accounts made on it. Turn around, someone went and made an account on it without me knowing. Now there is a padlock with a required password that shows up, I believe this password is for the person that made the account. There is another problem when not pressing anything when booting up a blinking file with a question mark shows up. Well I checked everything online and nothing helped. I ordered a thumb drive and a SuperDrive to try and fix this problem. I didn't get a boot up CD either on purchase, just the computer and power cords with the manual of how to work the computer. Can someone PLEASE help me on this and how I can fix it without having to send it out. P.S. I have called apple and they said it could be a possible hardware or software problem, this is the reason for me buying software and the SuperDrive as I have found someone with a CD. Thank you very much in advance.

MacBook Air, iOS 8.3

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 8:24 PM

5 replies

Aug 2, 2015 11:45 AM in response to Curtisjames2908

You can get replacement System Install & Restore CD/DVDs from Apple's Customer Support - in the US, (800) 767-2775 - for a nominal S&H fee. You'll need to have the model and/or serial number of your Mac available.

If you're not in the US, you may need to go through the regional Apple Store that serves your location to find the contact number. Here's a list of links to all of those - http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/intlstoreroutingpage.html Another resource: International Support Phone #s.

User uploaded file

Aug 19, 2015 6:16 AM in response to Eric Root

HI Eric,

im sorry to say but I have tried all this also. I have bought the apple super drive and have a disk and also got a thumb drive with Mac OS X v10.7 and that did not work for me either. I also have more news. When pressing Command and R I get this padlock with a required password that I need to enter below. I do not have the password as my computer was stolen and brought back before I can get home which in this case I do not have the password for. Sorry my computer is not stolen by myself but has been brought back but with an account made and a password hint has also been provided. In my case I knew how to erase the disk and was meant to reinstall the reboot and accidentally closed the laptop in hopes I would bring it to work and fix it there. Well to the best of my luck all I got was the blinking folder and now I get a password and nothing else to work with besides. I hope this is enough information That you may be willing to help, I already appreciate everything you have already did and I'm truly thankful.

Aug 19, 2015 6:23 AM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

BBaby Boomer,

i have a quick question?

WOuld you you by any chance know if Apple would sell complete system instead of the install CD/DVD? I do have one here and that didn't work either. I also as mentioned that I got a thumb drive and also didn't work. I do however when using the cd install the blinking folder stops and that's it. Honestly have tried everything and nothing is coming to my ability. I have called Apple and they are not willing to fix it if I were to send it out. I did tell them at whatever cost I will pay and just to get my computer back in working condition. I'm saddened but it's the only option they gave me and didn't take the chance to fix it for me. I thank you also for the great advice and hopefully I find the person who did get a password and account on my computer.

Aug 19, 2015 8:34 AM in response to Curtisjames2908

If you have access to another Mac computer, sign into the Apple Store, download the OS from your Purchases tab, and make a bootable USB flash drive using the program below. Boot from it and erase the disk, reformatting as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) with option GUID.

Bootable USB Flash Drive – Diskmaker X

Selling old Mac (4) Apple support

New admin and password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.