Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMac compromised by a virus please help.

Hello,

I have an apple IMac and it seems to have been compromised by a virus. I am not sure how to fix it. I was working on my computer and it suddenly went blank and froze on me. I need help fixing it. My computer has been going blank for the last 4 days and it freezes suddenly. I got an error message saying some program or virus is interfering with the startup. The only way I am able to restore the IMac is by unplugging the chord and restarting it. Sometimes it takes a couple of hours to restart.

Please shed some insights.

Regards.

Michelle

iMac, iOS 8.4

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 10:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 4:08 AM

This is not the result of a virus, or any other kind of malware. If you got a message in your web browser that you had a virus, that was a scam, and was not in any way related to the symptoms you're describing.

First, is your data backed up? If not, that needs to be your top priority, as the symptoms you're seeing could be the result of a failing hard drive. If your data isn't backed up and the drive dies, it will take all your data with it. Get yourself an external hard drive at least 2 times larger than the amount of used space on your Mac's hard drive, connect it to your Mac and have Time Machine back up to that drive.

Once your Mac is backed up, I'd recommend contacting Apple for help with determining whether your hard drive will need to be replaced.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2015 4:08 AM in response to M Aslan

This is not the result of a virus, or any other kind of malware. If you got a message in your web browser that you had a virus, that was a scam, and was not in any way related to the symptoms you're describing.

First, is your data backed up? If not, that needs to be your top priority, as the symptoms you're seeing could be the result of a failing hard drive. If your data isn't backed up and the drive dies, it will take all your data with it. Get yourself an external hard drive at least 2 times larger than the amount of used space on your Mac's hard drive, connect it to your Mac and have Time Machine back up to that drive.

Once your Mac is backed up, I'd recommend contacting Apple for help with determining whether your hard drive will need to be replaced.

IMac compromised by a virus please help.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.