Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari extension reviews?

Does anyone know if there is a way to review the extensions that can be installed for the safari browser? Seems as if they are growing by the handful of late and more than one choice on the ones that seem to matter to me the most. I'd prefer to review some so that I'm not installing all of them only to find out the last one was the best. lol thanks in advance.

Also does anyone know why Disconnect.me is not a Extension of the safari browser anymore?

MacBook

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 11:20 PM

5 replies

Oct 3, 2017 2:34 PM in response to RadicalRick

I believe this remains a problem. Safari extensions often have very brief descriptions and no real ratings/reviews unless they have become popular enough for something like MacWorld/Cult of the Mac/etc to review them. If there was a way for users to review/rate them it would be like any other user-evaluated software and the information would grow. It might also encourage developers to provide more complete information.

Trial an error is a poor alternative. Not only is it time consuming, but I recently downloaded an extension that produced a result that was both unexpected and very undesirable.

Relying on Apple to merely remove access to an extension because they have their reasons isn't really a solution. Imagine if that was true of the AppStore. My preference is not to rely on, "Apple giveth and Apple taketh away" to determine the usefulness of a feature/product.

Apple should make extension reviews an integral aspect of the gallery.

Nov 11, 2015 8:46 AM in response to RadicalRick

The best place I have found for Safari reviews is Mac World. We just built a new Safari extension so I am dealing with the same exact question. It isn't very clear as a developer how people will know which extensions work best. Although as one point of reference, the approval process to get an extension approved for Safari is much more extensive than say getting an extension approved in the Chrome Web Store. I am still new to the process but it seems like someone actually manually reviewed the extension that we wrote. They want to make sure that the developer thinks about being able to do live updates, etc. Our extension was rejected numerous times before we got everything perfect.

It might help to know that the average quality of extension in the Safari gallery are going to be higher than other marketplaces when considering trying out an extension.

safari extension reviews?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.