Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 5 No serivice or Sim failure/Invalid sim..

Hello guys,i just purchased a new iphone 5 64gb from ebay yesterday coz my old ip4 just fell from vehicle and shattered into pieces, the issue started when i felt the iphone wasn't new but used/Refurbished due its micro scratches on its aluminum bezel,but the item was listed as "new", the mobile felt very hot when i charged for the first time from out of the box..ok the major issue is i was using bsnl micro sim on ip4 and ip5 wont support micro so i had to replace my sim with nano sim when the service got activated the signal was very weak and after 1-2 minute it went to " NO Service" but when i changed the sim to my another iphone 6 the signal was at full strength, and when i swapped the airtel sim with ip5 the signal was at two bar but on iphone 6 with airtel the signal is at 4 bar so am kinda confused is it faulty mobile or the Sim so what do i have to do get the mobile to work on bsnl sim do i have replace the sim again or speak to seller about the mobile replacement the,ip5 is running ios 8.4

i have tried resetting network settings, restored ipsw 8.4 , rebooted, turned off cellular data, tried toggling airplane mode couple of times nothing seems to be working some times removing sim and putting it back there will be a sim failure popup and invalid sim is displayed most time no service.. pls help me decide...

thank you...

when i checked the serial no with apples web site i found this:

"We're sorry, but this is a serial number for a product that has been replaced. Please check your information and re-enter your serial number. If your information is correct, you may need to contact us"

iPhone 5, iOS 8.4, Global

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 1:49 AM

8 replies

Aug 3, 2015 1:44 PM in response to deggie

OK, i just mailed to seller abt the issue, he have agreed to provide a replacement but not refund coz i havent spoken about it, am just curious what if he sends me another used/refurbished unit, so how can i make sure i recive a branded box piece? By asking serial/ Imei how can i check if its new now i know used units have activation date when its serial no is checked and replaced units have red flaged mesage that its a replace ment unit, now what abt a unused/unactivated message look like? If the unit sits in its packing from its release dates? Thank you....

Aug 3, 2015 2:06 PM in response to JohnRaga

You let this seller sell you a junk device and you don't ask for a refund and wonder what he is going to do next? The only way to be certain that you have a new device, is to purchase it from an Apple Store or Authorized Apple Reseller. Someone that purchases from a authorized reseller and then sells it is not authorized. You have no idea what you are going to get. eBay is the WORSE place in the world next to Craigslist to purchase an iPhone and expect any kind of quality. Eliminate the middle man here and purchase from Apple or an Authorized Reseller and you should have no questions.

Demand a refund! Or take what you get and don't complain.

Aug 3, 2015 2:29 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

I Dint have any option other than buying from him coz as ip5 was discontinued its obvious any apple store or any Apple authorized seller will not sell an discontinued product and my intension was to get an iphone 5 which is way cheaper than buying an iphone 5c or 5s.. If i demand an refund now it might get more complicated so am gonna send it back and will ask for serial no of a box piece he agreed to replace and check if its new or refurbished,if he's relucant to give me those details,ill request a refund,now the only issue is what is will be the new unused serial no message look like when checked with apple serial no checking site??

Aug 3, 2015 3:06 PM in response to JohnRaga

JohnRaga wrote:

Makes sense, but still if they have looted from apple stock they could have red flaged it right? I mean who does not keep a track of their items shipped? and what if the seller buys the old stock from apple authroised sellers and resales it for extra amount? In such case they must have a new mobile ..right?

What in the world does that have to do with your problem?

You did NOT buy a phone from an authorized source. You bought a STOLEN phone from a scam artist on eBay.

How does this have anything at all do do with Apple at this point.

Aug 3, 2015 3:21 PM in response to JohnRaga

To be honest, you are playing Russian Roulette with iPhones. No telling what you are going to get, and if you get a questionable phone again, you have no one to blame but yourself. The ability to purchase a "NEW" iPhone 5 is almost non-existent since the device has been discontinued. At least you realize that. Why would someone have a "new" iPhone 5, and does all of this explain the price? If the seller is giving you a hard time, that explains why you are getting the kind of units you got.

Iphone 5 No serivice or Sim failure/Invalid sim..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.