Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

55gb of 'other' files on macbook...

Hello,

I have about 55gb of 'other' files on my macbook and I don't have a clue what it is. I cleaned up my pc of files i could find and had no use of anymore. I currently have like 5 movies on my pc taking up like 5 gb. I also have about 2200 songs (downloaded), in My Documents. In Itunes i manually ordered/edited the songs on artist, album, title and album picture. I have no pictures on my macbook. After I removed some films i had about 19gb of free space. As soon as I wanted to update my Iphone on my macbook the 19gb space disappeared, having only 2 gb left. My macbook claims that is insufficient space to be able to complete the update and here I am... Anyone have an idea on this? Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 3:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 3:33 AM

OTHER as such is not a problem once you understand what it represents:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202867

Download from the Internet OmniDiskSweeper (free) and open it. It will show all of your files and the respective sizes. Delete or transfer to an external HDD the data you do not wish to retain on your MBP.

Do not forget to empty trash. Only then is space allocated for new data.

Ciao.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2015 3:33 AM in response to DaveD.

OTHER as such is not a problem once you understand what it represents:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202867

Download from the Internet OmniDiskSweeper (free) and open it. It will show all of your files and the respective sizes. Delete or transfer to an external HDD the data you do not wish to retain on your MBP.

Do not forget to empty trash. Only then is space allocated for new data.

Ciao.

55gb of 'other' files on macbook...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.