Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mac is 3 years old. New hard drive?

Been having problems with AppleMac. It's just 3 years old and although support have been able to temporarily resolve the issues I was having they suggested we take it into Apple to have it checked as the problems happened 3 times. I have just been told over the phone that the computer needs a new hard drive as the one in it is faulty.

Does this seem likely given that t is 3 years old? Just don't want to get ripped off. Also they said that the parts would be guaranteed for 3 months once replaced. Is this also the case? I was led to believe that apple guarantee their products for about a year.

I would be very grateful for any advice.

TIA

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012)

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 2:27 AM

4 replies

Aug 2, 2015 2:41 AM in response to shanni24

If you live in the UK it is possible you may have a case under the consumer protection acts. That can extend to six years but it does depend on the circumstances of the breakdown. As it appears to be a continual problem that may be in your favour.

If Apple are repairing it and the subject is hardware or hardware parts ... they should be guaranteed for twelve months. If anyone else is repairing it, the guarantee is what that company tells you.

Aug 2, 2015 10:55 PM in response to shanni24

Also they said that the parts would be guaranteed for 3 months once replaced.

That is correct - repaired/replaced parts are guaranteed for 90 days. That applies to all replacement parts (unless the Mac is still under warranty, in which case the terms would differ slightly) - see here:

http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/embedded-mac-warranty-us.html

Unfortunately, all hard drives fail at some point - some sooner than others. Try to repair the disk as suggested before having them replace it.

Apple Mac is 3 years old. New hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.